CDM1 and philips cd303

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello elperopu,

On a CDM1 you have only adjustments for FOCUS GAIN, FOCUS OFFSET and LASER OUTPUT.

The correct way to do it is spread over several different manuals. You need testdiscs as well.

So if you can get copies of service docs that will help (Philips Service Organisation).

If you do not have these some rough(!) guidelines may help.

-Focus offset. Make sure the objective is horizontal position when focussed on a disc. Focussing itself may be difficult if there is to much offset. So you may have to repeat a focussing attempt (via service mode of the player) Make sure you do not focus on the frontreflection (than the distance to the disc is to large)

-Focus Gain. Use your ears to determine if the Gain is to high.( too nervous sound).

- Laser output. Be carefull. Its not StarWars.

If you follow common rules for repairing a product there is not much that can go wrong. For an optimal adjustment servicedocs and discs are needed.

Have Fun!

Ward

Hello Tubeee,

Ultranalog is unfortunately very correct. These discs with defects are "scratched" during mastering and handprinted afterwards. This is quite an art (I was involved myself) and therefore expensive....

Ward

Good to see you kept those manuals ultranalog!

The problem is.. i don't have a manual, nor i can find one for cheap wehere i live, and i cannot affort the luxory of buying the manual of a oplayer that could not come to life again.... The cd was to be thrown away, so i saved it. it now does not work. i am a student in litterature subjects an i'm new in electonics, so i hoped that i could have made some experience in fixing and maby mod it... at least i wanted to hear how it sounds before bringing it back to the garbage. When i insert a cd, it spins very very fast and the lead-in area cannot be recognized. I tried to slow the urricane down by roughly using a finger on the spindle. In this way the cd is recognised and the player jumps easily from track to track, so i hoped the diode was still good and figured that it could have been a servo problem. (connections seem good). so i opened the transport and i found three trimmes but no hint on their function. so before blowing the laser (with it's output control) i tried to look for some info in the net and i found this site.
i tried to sketch the position of the trimmers, if somebody can help me telling which is what and....
thanks federico

Hello elperopu,

Am I correct to understand that after a "little help" the player is tracking? And if you push the FWD button it jumps from track to track?

Can you hear music when connected to your audio system?

Look at the "blade" of the focus actuator. Is it horizontal?

Ward

thanks a lot for your help, edum!
Yes... if i slow the motor down with that simple break, the player can count tracks and skip back and forward... but no sound is coming...
I maybe will seem an idiot, but i don't know where the focus actuator is...
I tried to scketch the position of the trimmer i've found. if you know the transport, could you give me any coordinates, please?
i don't know which trimmer is what....
by federico

Attachments

• cdm1.png
    cdm1.png
    3 KB · Views: 886
Hi,

1 laser supply
2 focus bandwith
3 focus offset, should be in mid position.

So not working well and no sound. Seems to me like two problems with maybe the same cause: did you check all the powersupplies?

For correctly adjusting 1, you need a laser simulator pcb.
For 2 you need a scope with x / y inputs.
For 3 you need nothing, set to mid position.

Regards,

so... the power supply seems ok. i noticed that the lens is not stable, even when it can track... and that with the focus offset trimmer at approx. middle course. i tried to verify the red light emission on the lens using my dark-room light-meter, and the diode seems in healthy condition. i guess i should begin to play with focus offset....

Service Manual CD 303

Hi Guys,

I'm not 100% sure if it's from a CD303 but I think I have a copy of the SERVICE MANUAL.
If that's the case, I'll be happy to copy it for you Federico.

The only problem is, it's in the garage in one of the 8? or more boxes.
As soon sa I get my hands on it, i'll copy it and send it for you.

I don't have a scanner ider, so you'll have to wait for me to copy it.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Thanks. audiofanatic :angel:!
it would be marvellous!
I did not try to check the state of any relays yet...
if i move my finger from the spinning disc, it begins to run too fast and it does not track anymore...
and the digital-analog part of the player is fortified (shilded) as a tank! (would take a while to get uncovered...)
I tried to play a bit vith focus offset and gain, but in the end i restored the original condition. i did not tuch the diode power.
the spindle just does not sit at 500 rpm. i guess there should be some sort of feedback between motor voltage and the disc speed, but i can't understand how it should work and where the problem is... maby even not in the transport itself?
:bawling:

elperopu said:
Thanks. audiofanatic :angel:!
it would be marvellous!
I did not try to check the state of any relays yet...
if i move my finger from the spinning disc, it begins to run too fast and it does not track anymore...
and the digital-analog part of the player is fortified (shilded) as a tank! (would take a while to get uncovered...)
I tried to play a bit vith focus offset and gain, but in the end i restored the original condition. i did not tuch the diode power.
the spindle just does not sit at 500 rpm. i guess there should be some sort of feedback between motor voltage and the disc speed, but i can't understand how it should work and where the problem is... maby even not in the transport itself?
:bawling:

Remember,

If you get it working, you can only use it as-is. It's 14 bit dac's inside, removing the filter to go non-oversampling is not possible:
16 bit data going in the filter, 14 bit 4x oversampling going out.

It might be possible to connect 1541 BEFORE the filter in the mode where there is one pin for left and one for right data. But that is as far as i know not tested by anyone yet (there is a post on it, search).

But you will find that there is not so much space inside for modding. And no I2S to connect stuff to. Don't know if there is spdif in there for dig out.

One of the relays does muting, so it might be the reason for no sound.

Greetings,

Hi elperopu,

First comes Focus, second is radial Tracking, third is tangential tracking (speed).

As it is difficult to do a long-distance repair:) I sugest you get the manuals first and go through them step by step. That way you learn how the player operates. This makes a repair far more easier. It certainly is worthwhile to repair it.

If you have questions left then contact me

Ward

guido said:
If you get it working, you can only use it as-is. It's 14 bit dac's inside, removing the filter to go non-oversampling is not possible:
16 bit data going in the filter, 14 bit 4x oversampling going out.

It might be possible to connect 1541 BEFORE the filter in the mode where there is one pin for left and one for right data.
I have a Philips CD303 and once (a long time ago) put a switch in to enable and disable the oversampling filter (or upsampling processor as it would be called nowadays...).

From what I remember: The oversampling filter generates 3 out of every 4 samples. By switching the DAC clock over to before the filter chip, you can ignore these extra samples, and change from 16 bit 4 times oversampling (noise shaped) down to the original CD data at 14 bits (truncated I assume). It was easy to work out what to do from datasheets. I verified the steppy waveform on a scope too.

Strange thing was I couldn't hear the difference, even though there should be a dropoff in high frequencies due to the sinc response, not to mention the 14 bit conversion. (I remember writing this before, so there might be a usenet posting somewhere.) This was all done around 1990 with a pretty early DIY system, so maybe I should drag that player out and try again (on a newer DIY system - I've never had a "real stereo"!).

Another thing I did was disable the error correction. There were 2 surprises: 1 being the awful full scale noise when in stop mode due to random data from the pickup not being muted. 2 being the fact that very few discs actually had any errors at all on them - the odd sharp tick being audible when it did happen (I checked that with a scope too).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.