What is the best VRDS on Teac-Players ?

Blitz said:
I have found a lot discussions on the philips units, but what about the VRDS-units of TEAC ? Have they alle the same drive / chipsset inside or are there differences ? Anyone listen experiences ?

Best REgards

Hi

It depends on your interest

Best drive / mechanics: VRDS 10, 20 and 25

Best price probably the VRDS 8, 9 or T1. Both have a derived drive from the 10, it is not as rock solid and to my experience you van get as far as with a 10. You have to work on them, all.

I do not have detailed info on the pickup units. All play CDR by the way....

They all use about the same chipset. Analogue parts differ though

Do not buy a 9 if you go for mods, the 9 is a disaster to work on due to the way it is assembled

I have 10 running for about 8 years now, no problems, though some units are somewhat sensitive. Firmware sometimes messes up the things too

regards

Interesting...I was more thinking wether the VRDS 10 has the same drive / digital chipset as the VRDS 25. I understand from you that this is the case, right ? So, there is no need to look for a much more expensive 25 when I only want the best drive around.

I was more thinking wether the VRDS 10 has the same drive / digital chipset as the VRDS 25

these drives are not alike.....
wrds 10 is a 4,x drive with analog servo
and the wrds 25 is a 3,2 drive with digital servo

and the best is from the x1 and p2 with a (i think) 2,x drive - very different and much more expensive.........:)

Copland has modded their VRDS-drive for their players (that use VRDS transport. (CDA288, CDA277). This is according to Ole Møller founder and constructor of Copland.
BTW. I use Copland CDA288X moddes with XO2 clock, Mcap Supreme silver/oil caps, silver wire, plastic removal in caps etc. It plays wonderful. I have had the TEAC VRDS 10 also.
But now the copland is used as a transport.

tbla said:

i don't think they did any mods - but please tell us, if you know any details........:)

They did something with the servo controlling the VRDS system.
I was told this by the Norwegian Importer who happens to know Ole Møller quite well.
Some modifications were done regarding the noise supplied by the drive itself. (Spinup and spindown time) and also when you turn off the unit.
One minor "fault" in the Teac drives (VRDS 10), was that when you press "stop" on the player the engine that controls the drive still spins, this doesn't happen in the Copland players.
This is more a bug in Teac than a fix in Copland.
But one of the reasons Copland went for Sony drives in their players was that they were more "easy" to work with and implement with coplands own dacs, servos and PSU's. More "Tweakable".
However the VRDS system outperforms the Sony drives in almost all aspects.

VRDS

Hi Guys,

I must say, that tbla is right!
I happen to know almost all the VRDS transports, and all the transports I saw uses the KSS-xxx SONY pickup unit!

The P70 is the most expensive one and the best I've ever heard,
I must say that, like Guido said, if you take care of the servo of the 25X transport and again like tbla said, take good care of the poweer supply and you'll be having one of the best transport moneyy can buy!
To tell you the truth, I prefer the 25X transport with it's great servo system, it's (almost) the same, after mod's, sound wise, as the expensive P70 that cost EURO 8000,= A friend of mine uses this transport and it is a real beauty! Look at www.diest-audio.com and you'll understand what I mean.

The P-700 transport uses the same transport ans the 25X BUT WITHOUT THE SERVO! Again, powersupply and clocks must be modified otherwise you'll never get what it's capable of!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P-70 mechanism!

Attachments

• esoteric transport.jpg
    esoteric transport.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,866
I also have a 25x.One of the reasons I bought it was that it was future proof in that you could use it as a great transport with an external DAC.I remember very clearly that when I auditioned it although quite good as a standalone CDP for its price it was much better than much more expensive players as a transport.In fact it was as good as transports costing over 4000 euro.
It benefits a lot from the right kind of vibration isolation despit its good build.

Hi Protos

protos said:
I also have a 25x.One of the reasons I bought it was that it was future proof in that you could use it as a great transport with an external DAC.I remember very clearly that when I auditioned it although quite good as a standalone CDP for its price it was much better than much more expensive players as a transport.In fact it was as good as transports costing over 4000 euro.
It benefits a lot from the right kind of vibration isolation despit its good build.

Well after modifying the mashine it's alsmost as good as the P-70!

I know them both very well!

Audiofanatic ;)

TO SERVO OR NOT TO!

Ok, how do I read that, no servo = better ? I can buy currently the VRDS 25 or the P-700 as a drive, which

Hi Blitz,

If you don't mind about the size, go for the 25!
If you want a small case grap the P-700.

Both are great! The only problem is, I never opened a 25, only a 25X.

Maybe an other forum member has or had one and know the player/transport!

So again, with servo is better than without!
If size matter, take the P-700!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• teac vrds p-700.jpg
    teac vrds p-700.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,796
tbla said:

the only reason for copland not to use the teacdrive is that teac stopped supplying oem customers - and the sony is much cheaper too......;)
They are cheaper all right, but as I said, the sony drive units seemed easier to work with for Ole Møller.
Have TEAC stopped supplying VRDS drives for Wadia also?
BTW. Krell has also used VRDS drives in their earlier designs.