Cotton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope...an air tight cabinet....as would be the only way to keep moisture out of the cotton. I find it hard to believe you would be able to seal each wire on its own. The only other option i can think of is polyolefin heat shrink with an inner liner of glue, but its not enough to keep the cotton dry. The only possible way to seal such to a reasonable extent would be to use ptfe heatshrink (terribly expensive) and then dip the whole thing in a silicone compound to seal it off.

Under any circumstances im still to meet the person with adequately golden ears to be able to tell the difference between the isolation type of the wires in a blind test !

Magura :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I need the cotton to space out the shield far enough from the signal wires (I have lots of EM interference at home), as I can't find large enough Teflon tubing.

BTW I'm all for blind tests, but I'm just maxing this out for fun, to satisfy my fancy eqipment fetish. :tongue:

Heat shrink is not moisture proof. Its VERY hard to make anything moistureproof....even by dipping (look at the polycarbonate caps...they suffer from such probs).

I have bought ptfe tube from RS components for a not all that outreageous price, it comes in many sizes. I think id choose that over cotton fiddle faddle, or even worse an air tight cabinet.

Magura:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
The cables are balanced, so the shield doesn't carry a signal, and thus I'm not worried about what the outermost cover is.

Anyway, let me change the question then: how can I space the shield several milimeters away, if not cotton? Teflon tape is too thin. Some kind of foam, maybe? And of course, where can I get it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.