AD1862...unsoldering...parallell !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi :)
I think I've got my CD-player to play like I like it to. I basically rewired the circuit to something like the schematic below shows.....
Now I can hear new things on every CD I have tried. It actually plays very nice, and very detailed !!!!:D

But if You look at the shematic below You see there are two AD1862's doing "nothing"....well nothing of value anyway.
I was thinking to unsolder theese, and piggyback them on top of the two that are making music.

Is piggyback'ing safe to do with AD1862's ?
......or should I rather let them stay on the circuitboard, and make them parallelled by cutting traces/ add connections ???

Would the DAC's survive such an operation ???? (unsoldering)
I am experienced in soldering !, but I don't know how much the AD1862's will stand of temperature. I will of cource take my precautions regarding statics.....

What do You think ?

And if someone could explain me in detail how to adjust this MSB/LSB thing. I have tried but couldn't see any difference on my osilloscop.

Attachments

• iv-stage_edit_non-balanced3x_denon.jpg
    iv-stage_edit_non-balanced3x_denon.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 481
LSB adj

Lyra, as far as I know LSB should be adjusted to minimize THD at low level signal, say -60dB. But you will need some type of spectrum analyzer. And, with 16 bit CD information you can not do this - you need 20 bit info /if ur player has HDCD compatibility...../ or digital 20-bit source /proffesional equipment/
You better not bother about that - 1862 is linear enough. I think you can desolder them w/o any significant risk, but I would prefer cutting traces /it is more beautiful and there is better heat dissipation that way/. You can try them, if they are blown away you can buy a pair of the selected series AD1862N-J, which should be better than a two pairs of un-selected :confused:
Good luck :smash:

Lyra,
You should be able to put the two AD1862's in parallel without any major reworking of the board by isolating the input and output pins of the second dac by lifting a few resistors and linking across from the first dac. That way you do not run the risk of losing any pins and it is far easier to reverse the process.

Re: what is ur player???

machinow said:
............ you can buy a pair of the selected series AD1862N-J, which should be better than a two pairs of un-selected :confused:
Good luck :smash:

Where do I get hold of the N-J version ?

machinow said:
.... I hope you have not lost the possition of the trimmers :xeye:

I have not lost the posision :) I marked the pot with a thin marker before I tried to adjust just to be able to "find my way home" again :)

tbla said:
is this a teac wrds25.....?

No, it is not a Teac at all. It is a Denon DCD-2560. It sure looks like they are in close family !? :)
Maybe this is the way to go when modding theese VRDS's also. I have noticed Jean-Paul (think it was him) saying that it is not possible to get the original DAC in a Teac to play good no matter how much You modify it. Think the AD1832 chips could do it if they operate in an environment they like. I have read several places that AD1862's don't like balanced configuration without loosing musicality/ details.....!?

The player plays much better (my oppinion) now after the mod., but it need significant more time to play good...it need to get warm...about an hour before it sounds like it should. Think the original balanced-thing somehow managed to supress this distortion when the player isn't warmed up. !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.