wanted: suggestion for a low noise regulator circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm after a low noise regulator circuit which I can build at home. I want a circuit that is small and can be fitted inside my dac easily, taking up a minimal amount of space. There are 2 dacs each requiring there own +5v supply and also a pre 12v regulator.. At present 7805's are used, but I'd like a supply which offers lower noise than usual 317's etc. I know there are pcb's available for various designs but have shunned them on grounds of cost, considering I'm after 3!

Thanks
Raja

I'm writing a series for TNT covering just that. Drop me an email at werner @ tnt-audio.com and I'll forward you the first installment which deals with measured noise in five types of regulators.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise1_e.html

system_adc_noise.gif

I have used buffered and filtered low-noise voltage reference as a supply for analog stages of my latest DAC. Nice thing about this implementation is that the power feed point is out of the feedback loop at audio frequencies - the supply looks like a passive RC source to the load. The opamp buffer is configured as a shunt regulator in my circuit, although series regulator is more common.

Burr-Brown has instructive application notes about this in their voltage reference section...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.