Philips CD304 - noise problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

got a CD304, working fine.
But sometimes out of the sudden, the thing starts distorting the signal while playing a disk or without playing generates something like a white noise.

After a while the noise disappears again and everything is fine again.

Does anybody have a clue for me what to look at??

Thanks a Lot
Best
Thomas

Philips CD304 - noise problem

Hi

I've got a CD304 and have had since new.
I've had 2 problem where there has been no audio but selects and plas tracks OK.

I have traced the problems and fixed tehm.
The problem has been dry solder joints on the circuit boards

If you dont mind getting inside the player.
I opened up the player and took the 2 circuit boards out of the carrier BUT kept all the connectors still connected.
I placed 2 pieces of cardboard, one on top of teh transport and the other over where the carrier was . This way I was able to lay out the 2 circuit boards " like a book". Check that there are no parts of the circuit board touching the chassis.

I plugged in the head phones and powered on. Placed a CD an pressed play.

By gently flexing parts of the boards and taping the IC's I was able to isolate the problem to a couple of centimeters.

With a strong light at an angle I could see faint rings around several solder joints, Usually the sign of a dry joint.
I resolered and Bingo it worked. I tested againg by gentlyflexing & pressing on areas and found a couple of more spots.

There are no dangerous voltages on the circiut boards but the resistance on my fingers was enough to stop the player, just as if I had pressed the stop button, I just pressed play to continue.

Where I had the last ( just fixed today )problem was the area around and between the 2 big IC's on the bottom circuit board.
The previous problem about 8 years ago was an area on the top board.

Good luck
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.