Cheapest music streaming setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiya, I see that I've spent some time with a squeezebox etc and other streaming solutions but I think the easiest solution was staring me in the face, does anybody else do this?

1 Connect a NAS with music files on it to a router.
2 Wifi connect cheap touchscreen phone to router and select item to play from NAS.
3 Connect same cheap touchscreen phone to the amp/DAC via a Mini USB to Phono cable.

That's it?

I appreciate there's no remote control, unless there's a pseudo remote control (ie make the cable long enough/feed it around the edge of the room to your listening position).

Ultimately, this is probably the cheapest solution? and it's touch driven.

It's also multi room, as your regular mobile phone can connect to a phono cable in there and still wifi connect to the same NAS as a source.

I'm not sure why I posted this I guess I'm thinking out loud.

Best.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That is very close to what I do. I started with an old thin client as a NAS running voyage-MPD but that died so I got an HP microserver for £120. A couple of blackberry playbooks which were cheap on clear out and have a great charging dock are in kitchen and bedroom. USB-Spdif in the living room from the NAS to deliver music there or use the bluray player (clunky).

Software is Minimserver for the upnp devices and MPD for the main rig. I can operate MPD either from my phone or my laptop.

The only drawback with the upnp devices is slow search as I have a half decent music collection and can't find a suitable package that keeps a local database.

It might not be as slick as Sonus, but a damn sight cheaper and still usable by SWMBO.

Should note that I wanted to use SBtouch initially, but even since logitech stopped making them the price has not come down.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.