Texas PurePath chipset, anyone used it? CC8520, CC8521

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to produce something that will allow me to digitise an old turntable as described in thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/270044-wireless-conversion-belt-drive-turntable.html

Perhaps my original query was too general because it didn't attract the specific information I am seeking, so I am now asking in the digital source forum for anyone with experience of the CC8520/8521 chips. I want the minimum of programming/software interaction, as that is not my strength, and I'm seeking a stand-alone solution with no processors.

From preliminary reading of the documentation I realise this is possible, so I am seeking anyone with real-world experience of using this hardware.

Best regards
Ian

Looking to work on this

Hi,

Not sure if somebody is still following this thread ;-) but I am about to order 10 demo boards, basically a copy of the Texas Instruments boards (ordering from the Gerber files, so the TI design).

Already bought the programmer to work on this some 2 years ago, but let's just say something came up ;-)

Will be small (0402) to assemble, but hope I will get there with some patience and a nice toaster oven + stencil.

pavouk.org inspired me to restart: Wireless Digital Audio

If anybody is interested to also receive a pair of these boards + components, let me know; maybe we can share the costs.

Koen

It's a good system, however I would like a lossless wireless HDA network if I could find one as 48k/24bit is the limit, even 96/24 would be nice. I ended up getting the TI PP dev kit and it workd very well, I played with various I2s and SPDIF i/o's and the development gui they supply, any questions just ask.

I'm still looking at this thread. I'm currently evaluating a wireless system for the turntable I mentioned in:
Wireless conversion of belt drive turntable
using Bluetooth with aptX HD codec. Yes I know it's not lossless! But it's an easier route to start out on than the purepath chips. It's certainly not without issues but I think it might produce acceptable results. I will let you know on this or the other thread when I've finished.
Glad someone has taken up the PurePath route.

Best regards
Ian

OK, one small step...

Tadaa! Two working boards, based on the tried-and-tested toaster oven method.

Well, working...: I managed to program them using CC debugger.

First board I completely blew (delaminated while trying to fix a solder bridge; not posted here as not good sight for the faint-of-heart); second attempt I put a 1cm thick ceramic tile under the board to better distribute the heat which seemed to do the trick.

So these two seem to work nicely; see pic attached. But boy, is 0402 small indeed. Now onto my second board I can populate one in under an hour I think.

So next is to put one in my subwoofer, probably going to use a TDA1543 for D/A conversion initially (to make life easy). Making my subwoofer (P68 ESP based, 64-liter sealed cabinet) 'mobile' with just the power chord attached to it has been my main aim with this purepath attempt.

The feed/master could have been USB-based, but unfortunately had no CC8530 lying around from when the TI Samples program was still (overly) generous.

So now going for S/PDIF. Should be ok.

Will keep you posted!

Attachments

• 20180402_230654.jpg
    20180402_230654.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 160
Had some range issues on the first pair, would only cover 2 meters line of sight.
Now am at 10 meters, no line of sight.

Have 5 boards ready: 1 master, 1 master pair speakers, 1 smaller pair speakers and two... well. We'll see.

Thinking about swapping the CC2590 range extender with a CC2591 which should give another 8 dBm of oomph. Will post back once tested.

But, for now, you are reading a happy camper's post :)

Quick update

Hi, have advanced bit more and are now reaching up to 15 meter, through interior walls.

Have to admit I swapped the CC2590 for the more powerful CC2591, and that made all the difference.

See picture, have now a set in use: master takes S/PDIF from television, slave sends S/PDIF to DAC.

Stereo only (I do not have a surround setup).

Only challenge now is: I need to have a second slave to go to my subwoofer, but how do I keep the volume levels in sync... thinking about a relay-powered stepped attenuator controlled by ESP8266 over wifi... Need to think about this a bit more.

Attachments

• 20180623_000347.jpg
    20180623_000347.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 106
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.