CD-Text information where in subcode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a display for the CD and track titles. I understand this information should be in the SPDIF data stream as some MD recorders can display it.

Now, where would it be hidden in the data stream? Most receivers give access only to the Q subcode. Consulting the DIR1703 data sheet (CS8412 is not helpful here), in consumer mode, the Q subcode will contain only track number and play time. In professional mode, most bits are simply undefined.

Search in this forum yielded nothing whereas I get thousands of useless hits in a general internet search...

Eric

I would like to build a display for the CD and track titles. I understand this information should be in the SPDIF data stream as some MD recorders can display it.
On Sony MD recorders, the CD text is not transferred on the S/PDIF cable. There is a separate connection between the CD player and the MD recorder which is used for (amoung other things) transferring disc and track names. This is called control-A1 or control-A1II, also inaccurately referred to as S-link. The same system is used to transfer this infromation to receivers which have a 2-way remote control, so that the remote control can display the disc and track information (for CD or MD). I have such a remote, and it is very slick.

The subcode is only used for SCMS. In the AES/EBU format the subcode is used to identify the transmitting piece of equipment.
Perhaps although not required, I suspect that many S/PDIF (consumer/non-pro) devices also use the subcode to identify the source. My receiver will display various information about the source that it is listening to over S/PDIF, including CD-DA, DVD, IECxxxx, sometimes even UPC codes. This is in addition to sampling rate, word size, bitrate, and eccoding format (PCM/AC3/DTS).

Does not seem totally hopeless, does it? If those RW subcodes from the lead-in get transmitted (which I doubt), one would simply have to store them.

The other trick might be to use a CD-ROM drive and have the external controller tickle out the information. This would be a great addition to those kits that are out there.

On the other hand, it may be easier to buy an old CD-player with text on ebay and throw out the DAC....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.