Pioneer Stable platter analogue output question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2015, 03:14 PM   #1
ColinA is offline ColinA  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer Stable platter analogue output question

I have a Pioneer PD-S801 with which I am very happy
Only serious mod is OPA 627 op amps on brown dog boards which I have liked the sound of in several players.

I have been studying the service manuals which are on-line and have a question.
The 801 uses a simple pc mounted RCA twin socket as output.
On the next model the 901 (with the same audio board.)
They went for two case mounted sockets, they seem to have done this to allow the inclusion of ferrite rings on the output wires. (Shown on the circuit diagram.)

What would this be for? What problem were they trying to cure?
Please educate me.
Old 20th February 2015, 06:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I should think that the ferrite rings on the wire leads which connect the case mounted jacks to the PCB are there to help suppress RFI coupling via the wires, which will act as short antennas. In other words, just my guess, they didn't use case mounted jacks so that they could utilize the ferrites, rather, the reverse. They likely used the ferrite because of the choice to use case mounted jacks. Case mounted jacks are typically more strudy than PCB mounted jacks, the mechanical mounting itself certainly will be.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The ferrite beads are employed to stop RFI and comply with noise transmission regulations.

Hide this!Advertise here!