Help save this beautiful Sony CDP-707ESD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been working on saving this amazingly built 707 for a friend. Would hate to see it go into the trash.

Initially the transport would not work at all (disc would not spin) and would read "disc memo" on the display. I noticed the laser focus wasn't moving at all and I eventually located a break in the ribbon cable.

I was able to fix the ribbon cable by making small bypass connection and the laser focus is now working well. The disc finally spins and it looks like it's going to work but the transport keeps searching and gives up after 5 min as it finishes searching the whole disc. I can see the red light emitting from the laser.

I'm stuck at this point and could use some trouble shooting advice. I did notice that the disc is not spinning as fast as I would expect, but then again I might be used to seeing modern players that might be spinning faster and buffering the data.

Any advice would be appreciated. I suspect the laser is good since it was probably abandoned after the focus stopped working.

A schematic would also help me test the power supplies.

Many thanks for your support.

Fernando from Nj.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Quick thought... is the tracking working (connections to tracking coil OK). Some players will attempt to work with no tracking correction applied.

Looking at the RF on a scope would be a good clue. If the tracking correction is not applied then the RF is very noisy and jittery in the 'horizontal' plane on the scope.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do you mean the RF looks noisy ? If you do mean the RF then is the amplitude OK too ?

Have you checked the tracking coil resistance is OK (not open) on the pickup and then confirmed that it has continuity to the tracking error drive amplifier via the ribbon. A check with a DVM (on diode range) on the coil connections on the back of the pickup should push enough juice through it to deflect it a little.

Also make sure the lens assembly looks and above all 'feels' OK. It should have equal free movement in the horizontal plane both left and right within the mechanical limits of the stator/pole pieces. Probably around 1.5mm each way at a guess.

Update.

Although I've gotten the disc to spin and the laser to focus and light up, Im unable to get it to read the disc.

Ive tried matching all the calibration potentiometers to the values from a working unit but no luck. I suspect I in fact have a bad laser or I need the Sony calibration CD to adjust it.

Any other feedback would be welcomed.

Thanks!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.