TDA 1541A zero oversampling dac sound problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2004, 07:57 AM   #1
Saso is offline Saso  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default TDA 1541A zero oversampling dac sound problem

Hi,

I made a zero oversampling dac with CS8412 and TDA1541A S1 chips and transformer output stage. The problem I have is, that when started cold there is no sound at all in the beginning, then it is very distorted for about 3 minutes and then it is OK. If I turn it on for a few minutes and then start playing music it is also OK. I have preregulated the positive and negative rails with 7805 and 7918 regulators and each power supply is then regulated with TL431. Has anybody else experienced such problems and what did you do to correct this?

Best Regards, Saso
Old 27th January 2004, 03:57 PM   #2
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: TDA 1541A zero oversampling dac sound problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Saso
Hi,

I made a zero oversampling dac with CS8412 and TDA1541A S1 chips and transformer output stage. The problem I have is, that when started cold there is no sound at all in the beginning, then it is very distorted for about 3 minutes and then it is OK. If I turn it on for a few minutes and then start playing music it is also OK. I have preregulated the positive and negative rails with 7805 and 7918 regulators and each power supply is then regulated with TL431. Has anybody else experienced such problems and what did you do to correct this?

Best Regards, Saso
Mmm

First a 7805 and then TL431 also set to regulate to 5 Volts??
Think the 7805 then needs to be a bit higher, use a 7806 or put a diode or led between ground pen and ground. This lifts the output also with 0.6 to 1.2 volts.

GuidoB
Old 27th January 2004, 04:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've seen this before.

Make sure the CS8412 is set to the correct mode. It needs to be in Output I2S mode like this:

M0(pin 23) = gnd
M1(pin 24) = +5V
M2(pin 18) = gnd
M3(pin 17) = gnd
Old 27th January 2004, 04:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Did you check the voltages with a scope?

BTW Where did you get the S1s from? (and at which price?)

Cheers

Andrea
Old 28th January 2004, 07:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

to guido:

Sorry, the positive preregulator is 7809 and not 7805 as I wrote before.

to headshot:

Would I hear anything at all if the mode wasn't set correctly?
Because now when I turn it on I can hear the music in the noise and then after a few minutes the converter plays well, with no noise. In this period of a few minutes I can hear the noise changing and music getting louder and louder until all gets well and the noise is gone.

to andypairo:

Unfortunately I don't have a scope , but I guess I'll have to find someone who has one.

I bought the S1 at a small electronic components store here in Ljubljana and if I remember correctly the price was around 5 or 6 Euros.

to all:

Do you think the problem could be due to a ground scheme. The dac as it is now is three boards, one with the rectifiers and preregulators then connected to another board with TL431s and this then connected to the dac board. Ground connections between the boards are just a piece of wire. Earth connection on the power input plug isn't connected yet, just line and neutral to the power transformer.

Thanks for your answers.

Best Regards, Saso
Old 28th January 2004, 01:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi saso

I had a friend who built a CS8414 TDA1543 DAC and his mode was set incorrectly. When he turned it on, there was a lot of noise, then after a moment, the noise gradually went away and the music came through completely. This is exactly what you're describing. So check the mode.
Old 28th January 2004, 01:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadSh0T
Hi saso

I had a friend who built a CS8414 TDA1543 DAC and his mode was set incorrectly. When he turned it on, there was a lot of noise, then after a moment, the noise gradually went away and the music came through completely. This is exactly what you're describing. So check the mode.
Will do.

Thanks again.

BR, Saso
Old 5th February 2004, 02:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I checked the mode and it is set correctly.

The weird thing is if I turn the dac on and wait for a few minutes and then start playing it sounds good immediately.

BR, Saso
Old 5th February 2004, 04:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It seems like a oscillation in the power supply.

Doede Douma also had it (he uses a LT1085 in his TDA1543 DAC), and managed to eliminate it adding more capacitance to the output of the regulator (100 uF) making it stable.

I'd suggest changing the pre regulator to LM317 and see if things change.

PS Can you buy other TDA1541A-S1 in your local shop (at that price?)

Cheers

Andrea
Old 5th February 2004, 04:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I will check this.
I got two more TDA1541A, no crown versions, but that will probably be it. The price was 5 euros, let me know if you are interested.

Hide this!Advertise here!