VRDS T-1 modification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2004, 06:35 PM   #1
August is offline August  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default VRDS T-1 modification

Tomorrow I will pick up a Teac T-1 transport which has a defect to it's drawer. One of the plastic cogs that drive it is broken. Should not be so difficult to repair and I will have a nice transport at a good price.

In the meantime I am thinking about ways to modify this transport extensively. Having searched and reading topics on it this looks like a very solid machine to build and improve upon. I will be using it to feed my dCS Purcell and 955.

There are some obvious things to improve I guess:
-Power supply
-Clock
-Mechanical damping
-Shielding
-Proper earthing
-Components like caps motors etc.

Regarding the clock, I would very much like to use the clock from my DAC to drive the transport. The 955 has a wordclock out on BNC for this purpose. I will be needing some help on how to implement this (maybe someone has schematics?) Will I still need to have an internal clock if I do this?

Any other help on modifying this beauty will be very welcome. I will try to post some results and pictures during the process.
Old 27th January 2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Lyra is offline Lyra  Norway
diyAudio Member

The info on the following posts might be of interest:

VRDS and I2S

and

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...141#post312141

I am concidering something like this, but I don't have all the nessesary information, and parts yet.....
Seems to me like Teac VRDS players, and the more expensive Denon models are closely related. They share much of the same components and sollutions...!? (not mecanically!)

Lyra
Old 27th January 2004, 05:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the info.

Today I picked up the unit and it is in perfect condition, exactly as described the only thing to have broken down was this little plastic cog which drives the drawer and had some teeth missing. I will contact the Dutch service center (Hanex) tomorrow to see if they have this. If they do I will be filled with joy as I only paid 100 Euro for the unit. It is playing right now and sounding already good in it's standard form. I removed the drawer and unscrewed the top bridge so I can load CD's from the top for testing it.

I hope someone who knows these transports (Guido Tent?) can help me out with the implementation of a wordclock in and other nice upgrades.
Old 27th January 2004, 05:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

From what I see on the diagram in the first link you gave me pin 31 is Wordclock?
Old 27th January 2004, 06:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Even though its a good unit costing 550 back in the day, a computer with a SB live 5.1 with digital out playing cd's from the CD rom drive sounds just as good. Copying the data to the disk as uncompressed wavs and using a good real time upsampler sounds lots better.

My T1 is sitting in a cupboard behind my bed now!
Old 27th January 2004, 06:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

So aren found another buyer

I allready mailed Teac for a whole new transport, good luck finding that cog wheel.
Old 27th January 2004, 06:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Although what you state might be true or work in your case, I would not want a PC near my system for several reasons, one of them being aesthetics. Besides, this transport was a steal and once I get the 10 cent part to get the drawer working again I will have lots of fun modifying the heck out of it.

It seems a shame that you have a T-1 gathering dust, maybe you should consider selling it
Old 27th January 2004, 06:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default VRDS T1=VRDS-7- DAC!

Hi August,

I hope you can fix the drawer, cause it's a great transport.

I have the VRDS-7 (Just for incase/not using it) the P-700 transport and the VRDS 25X.
Just happen to be in love with this VRDS system.

You can do a lot with these players/transport, but be aware!
Buy yourself a new KSS-240A laserunit cause these SONY units may not live long!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic

P.S. I don't have a schematic but know the transports/player verry well.
Old 27th January 2004, 07:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default SpaBlauw!

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaBlauw
So aren found another buyer

I allready mailed Teac for a whole new transport, good luck finding that cog wheel.

Hi,

Is your transport broken?
How long ago did you maild TEAC?
I've orderd a VRDS-P700 schematic almost a year ago, I'm still wayting.

Regards,

Audiofanatic
Old 27th January 2004, 07:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by August
Thank you for the info.

Today I picked up the unit and it is in perfect condition, exactly as described the only thing to have broken down was this little plastic cog which drives the drawer and had some teeth missing. I will contact the Dutch service center (Hanex) tomorrow to see if they have this. If they do I will be filled with joy as I only paid 100 Euro for the unit. It is playing right now and sounding already good in it's standard form. I removed the drawer and unscrewed the top bridge so I can load CD's from the top for testing it.

I hope someone who knows these transports (Guido Tent?) can help me out with the implementation of a wordclock in and other nice upgrades.
Hey, you bet I know the unit

100 euro is dead cheap, is it in good condition ? Hanex is very much OK for service and repair

Mods:
- Clock and reclock, give these a seperate powersupply.
- Next step is seperate powersupply for all servo's and optimised decoupling
- Next trick is optimisation of spindle motor servo loop, but I keep that trick under my hat
- You may apply damping (Bostik, by at automaterialenhandel)

that is about what I did on my TEAC 10. For the T1 you have to decouple the (cheaper) spindle motor because it is using brushes and these make noise over 100 MHz.....

succes

Hide this!Advertise here!