VRDS T-1 modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tomorrow I will pick up a Teac T-1 transport which has a defect to it's drawer. One of the plastic cogs that drive it is broken. Should not be so difficult to repair and I will have a nice transport at a good price.

In the meantime I am thinking about ways to modify this transport extensively. Having searched and reading topics on it this looks like a very solid machine to build and improve upon. I will be using it to feed my dCS Purcell and 955.

There are some obvious things to improve I guess:
-Power supply
-Clock
-Mechanical damping
-Shielding
-Proper earthing
-Components like caps motors etc.

Regarding the clock, I would very much like to use the clock from my DAC to drive the transport. The 955 has a wordclock out on BNC for this purpose. I will be needing some help on how to implement this (maybe someone has schematics?) Will I still need to have an internal clock if I do this?

Any other help on modifying this beauty will be very welcome. I will try to post some results and pictures during the process.

Thank you for the info.

Today I picked up the unit and it is in perfect condition, exactly as described the only thing to have broken down was this little plastic cog which drives the drawer and had some teeth missing. I will contact the Dutch service center (Hanex) tomorrow to see if they have this. If they do I will be filled with joy as I only paid 100 Euro for the unit. It is playing right now and sounding already good in it's standard form. I removed the drawer and unscrewed the top bridge so I can load CD's from the top for testing it.

I hope someone who knows these transports (Guido Tent?) can help me out with the implementation of a wordclock in and other nice upgrades.

Even though its a good unit costing £550 back in the day, a computer with a SB live 5.1 with digital out playing cd's from the CD rom drive sounds just as good. Copying the data to the disk as uncompressed wavs and using a good real time upsampler sounds lots better.

My T1 is sitting in a cupboard behind my bed now!

Although what you state might be true or work in your case, I would not want a PC near my system for several reasons, one of them being aesthetics. Besides, this transport was a steal and once I get the 10 cent part to get the drawer working again I will have lots of fun modifying the heck out of it.

It seems a shame that you have a T-1 gathering dust, maybe you should consider selling it ;)

VRDS T1=VRDS-7- DAC!

Hi August,

I hope you can fix the drawer, cause it's a great transport.

I have the VRDS-7 (Just for incase/not using it) the P-700 transport and the VRDS 25X.
Just happen to be in love with this VRDS system.

You can do a lot with these players/transport, but be aware!
Buy yourself a new KSS-240A laserunit cause these SONY units may not live long!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. I don't have a schematic but know the transports/player verry well.

August said:
Thank you for the info.

Today I picked up the unit and it is in perfect condition, exactly as described the only thing to have broken down was this little plastic cog which drives the drawer and had some teeth missing. I will contact the Dutch service center (Hanex) tomorrow to see if they have this. If they do I will be filled with joy as I only paid 100 Euro for the unit. It is playing right now and sounding already good in it's standard form. I removed the drawer and unscrewed the top bridge so I can load CD's from the top for testing it.

I hope someone who knows these transports (Guido Tent?) can help me out with the implementation of a wordclock in and other nice upgrades.

Hey, you bet I know the unit

100 euro is dead cheap, is it in good condition ? Hanex is very much OK for service and repair

Mods:
- Clock and reclock, give these a seperate powersupply.
- Next step is seperate powersupply for all servo's and optimised decoupling
- Next trick is optimisation of spindle motor servo loop, but I keep that trick under my hat
- You may apply damping (Bostik, by at automaterialenhandel)

that is about what I did on my TEAC 10. For the T1 you have to decouple the (cheaper) spindle motor because it is using brushes and these make noise over 100 MHz.....

succes

Jesús, my Spanish is not that good as Audiofanatics but if you can supply a copy of it I too would be very happy. Muchos gracias ;)
I would be happy to supply any means for transfer:
1. Snail mail or
2. Fax or
3. Scan & email

And I would be happy to pay for any costs you make (Paypal).

Audiofanatic, as you also live in Utrecht we can probably copy it after you or I get it.

Aesthetics? A PC doesnt have to be an eyesore in the least just get a nice snazzy looking case like I did. Besides its almost hidden where it is placed anyway. All you see is the front and a little bit of the top. Plus its not trying to compete with a jet aircraft, a zalman flower cooler keeps the noise to a minimum, I can barely hear the PC at the listening position, having said that I can barely hear it at all.

The T1 has problems with disk skipping at the ends of CD's when it reads the outter edges of the disks, dont ask me why I dont know. I have corrected the problem a few times, but this involves opening up the unit and messing around with the clamp mechanism on the top of the disk. If I move the disk closer or further away from the laser by either applying pressure above the laser on the disk, or on the other side of the disk so as to give more height between laser and disk, this can solve the problem. But after solving the problem ensues again, requireing more fiddleing. Any ideas? I do have a service manual.

I would sell it appart from this one problem.

5th,

Unfortunately, my PC is trying very hard to imitate a jet plane (AMD XP3200+ Radeon9800Pro etc.) and I want to get away from it as far as possible when playing music. Actually, I turn it off when I listen to my system downstairs because the noise still bugs me (wooden floors, house anno 1906)

I know you could build a very silent pc that could double as a music jukebox of sorts and even as a HTPC. This would cost me far more however than this T1 I bought. For playing movies I can also use my XBOX if I want to, but it is very noisy. I am very sensitive to noise when listening, even when I play music very loud I sometimes get annoyed by for example my girlfriend moving around or sometimes just being there and breathing next to me on the couch. This is not a joke.

Using a PC in my stereo system would for one give me a serious case of cognitive dissonance. Besides, I like the battleship build of the Teac not to mention the couch potato comfort of remote control.

That said, I think the main reason you experience better sound could be because of putting the songs on the hard drive. I think there are dedicated audio units available with a built-in hard drive that do this and have better suited power supplies and circuits than your run of the mill PC.

Re: SpaBlauw!

Audiofanatic said:

Hi,

Is your transport broken?
How long ago did you maild TEAC?
I've orderd a VRDS-P700 schematic almost a year ago, I'm still wayting.

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

I was planning to buy the transport August is talking about, but Aren wouldn't sell it to me without a DAC. The whole shipment thingy for just the Teac to Belgium was to much of a fuzz for him.

So August is the lucky ******* now ;) :D

I couldn't contact Teac, emailadres on their site doesn't work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.