PCM1796 or DSD1796

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried the new TI/Burr-Brown PCM1796 or DSD1796 yet? They are listed as pin- and mode-compatible with the venerable PCM/DSD1792, but are about half the price. They are so new that my favorite parts source, Digi-key does not even list the part number yet, but my samps arrived today. If they perform well, I may replace the analog stage in my SACD player (Sony SCD-CE775) with a new one based these, something I wouldn't have done using the DSD1792 because of the cost. (The SACD player currently uses DSD1702 PCM/DSD DAC with integrated I/V followed by NJM2114 op-amps).

For only a few dollars, the same form factor (and trouble), why bother with the part which gives 10dB less dynamic range? After all, my AD1853 gives similar specifications and it is 8 or so years old. Your cost arguement does not cut it as the cost of the unit will be only a small portion of total costs unless you are really nifty with your hands (really small wires instead of professional PCB). There is of course the aprilog converters but hey converters are relatively cheap ...

By the way, the PCM1794 is much easier to implement unless you are a programmer.

Petter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.