Need help entering the Digital world. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2015, 07:10 AM   #1
GeeVee is offline GeeVee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Need help entering the Digital world.

Hi all
I have been hanging around DIYAUDIO for many years, and have never delved outside the analogue section of this great site.

Anyway, it is now 2015, and I am getting dragged kicking and screaming into the digital world.

I have done as much research as I can, but I still am not comfortable that I fully understand what is required, and the best way to implement what I am trying to achieve.

I am sure that many may find my questions humorous!!
Anyway, here goes:

I have a vast collection of vinyl, many of them audiophile recordings, and a substantial collection of Ĺ in R to R of live band recordings. (Many of them using Nakamichi Hi Com and DBX Noise reduction)
All equipment for vinyl playback and R to R playback etc is ready to go.
Essentially, I would like to transfer all of these recordings to a computer / hard disk, at the highest possible resolution, without getting silly. (I hear 24 bit, 192 kHz is the way to go)

I have looked at several DACís with USB and fire wire interfaces, but canít understand how you select the bit size and sampling rate, as most are just boxes with no controls.

Now the questions:

1.How do you alter the sampling rate / bit depth. Is this done through software? If so are there generic ones out there?

2.USB 2 or Fire wire?

3.What is the best format for high quality? I hear .WAV and .FLAC are the way to go

4.Any suggestions on commercial DACís, which are reasonably priced?

5.Any suggestions on kits (I have no probs at all in electronics construction)

6.Any of those being sold on EBay any good?

Once again, sorry to have to ask stupid questions, but at least here I am certain that I will get good advice

Kind Regards
George
Old 27th January 2015, 07:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Sounds like you're in need of an ADC rather than a DAC?
Old 27th January 2015, 08:42 AM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A recent thread has touched on this but didn't get far...
analog to 24 bit to dvd
I want to digitise my older records and some tapes that I cant get on CD, but having looked further into it I will probably stick with 16-but as anything more will be overkill with the source material.
Old 27th January 2015, 09:38 AM   #4
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Another thought, is there software available that would help clean up any nasties such as clicks , tape hiss etc. with the minimal involvement ?
Old 27th January 2015, 10:04 AM   #5
AlanL is online now AlanL  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, you need adc. I have one of these that would work https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...lle/ur28m.html. There's probably better for your purposes.

Basic info on these devices: Audio Interface Buying Guide

I'd imagine there are soundcards that would work, but maybe not @ 192k.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Sounds like you're in need of an ADC rather than a DAC?
Thanks for your reply.
I stupidly thought that most DAC's were also ADC's. (Work both ways)

Lucky for me I for-warned that my questions may be silly.

I do thank you for your response.

George.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
Yes, you need adc. I have one of these that would work https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...lle/ur28m.html. There's probably better for your purposes.

Basic info on these devices: Audio Interface Buying Guide

I'd imagine there are soundcards that would work, but maybe not @ 192k.
Hi AlanL.
Thanks for your reply.
As you can see, digital is very new to me.
I am trying to get the best transfers possible, as many of my R to R recordings which were done at 30 ips on my Studer 820 are just incredible to listen to. Just not very practical

Thanks.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:56 AM   #8
AlanL is online now AlanL  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome, good luck with it.

I'd be looking at:
low end, steinberg, presonus, motu
high end, rme, lynx, apogee

Just make sure it has inputs you can deal with, you might need cables with rca one end and trs on the other.

Just noticed this thread ADC kits? Analog input SPDIF output? Anything?... you might need a computer soundcard with spdif input for this.
Old 27th January 2015, 11:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I use this for my vinyl transfers
Impact Twin - Audio Interface With Impact III? Pre-amps | TC Electronic

If you google TC impact twin and vinyl transfer you will find a lot of info.
There is a bunch to learn, but there is also lots of info and options to choose from

I also use mine as a DAC from my computer to my office stereo.
Old 27th January 2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeVee View Post
I am trying to get the best transfers possible, as many of my R to R recordings which were done at 30 ips on my Studer 820 are just incredible to listen to.
No matter how good they are, there won't be any content beyond 24 kHz or so (apart from interference/pilot tones that you really don't want to record), so a 48 kHz sample rate would be enough, but you might want to use 96k to be sure. Definitely no point in 192k (also makes your choice in ADC's easier). You also won't have a SNR better than maybe 72 dB, equivalent to 12 bits, so 16 bits is more than enough, but if you use 24 bits to record, and normalize to 16 bits after recording, you have more head room in case you don't get the gain right.

Remember that unlike with analog, you never, ever want to reach clipping (full scale) going into the ADC. You are OK normalizing it to just below full scale once it is in digital form.

Hide this!Advertise here!