headphones and cd/mp3 walkman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm it's my bday today, and parents got me headphones and a walkman.

I am very excited about the headphones, and I'm glad about the mp3/cd walkman.. but the poor little thing is well little, and is really underpowered/weak/unprecise/slow.

The amp, dac whatever that is inside the walkman is just plain poor lol..

At times when little is happening I could tell headphones have SO MUCH potential, there is depth, clarity and base.. but when too much is happening or base is too powerful (or I turn up volume to max) its starts scratching base is lost, just a big mess.

So I tested the Headphones on my computer audio system, they are quite nice and well no doubtedly better haha..

I am still uncertain if they are as good as my old sennheisers.. or if its only because i am using a crappier altec lansing amp versus the other thing I once had..

So.. now I have a sort of pondering state.. I will take these two to school haha.. but being like my father I just can't stand second rate or any other rate but top rate when it comes to audio/hi-fi even if it's portable...

Oh and my paps upgraded the cdplayer we have recently with faster diodes and stuff.. so sound is even better.. so now I'm even more attached to better sound haha..

Hmm the cdplayer is a Sony Altrac 3 plus Mp3 cdwalkman d-ne509.

The headphones are Sony Studio Monitor Series DJ Headphones (MDR-V700DJ)

Hmm I really like the idea of having mp3.. not just cd... I encode my mp3s at high birtates.. so sure lots of detail can be lost perhaps but.. its still.. ya.. and well cd audio is important too sometimes having cds instead of just mp3... or even mix..

What would be the best one out there? Have people ever bothered upgrading components like dac inside a walkman? I don't know.. just thoughts...

I am really attached to headphones, regardless if they are better/worse then my old sennheisers (they are gone, and were old but.. anyways)...

I just want to use the full potential of these headphones, the little walkman does it little justice...

Phew that was a long writing.. anyways thanks for any advice you guys might have.

Hmm I haven't opened the mp3/cd walkman yet to see what its all about.. but..

Have people built their own portable cd/mp3 walkman of sort haha.. portable players with descent battery life, and most importantly as high end audio as possible.

I listened a bit for tonight on our cd with the upgraded capacitors (nichicon) and diodes (harrison), it's so beatiful.. I just hate to go to school tomorrow and listen to this distorted poop :p It's like.. two worlds... obviously haha.. but still..

So, have people built portables?

Walkmans are not built to drive difficult cans that sound better on the big rig.You have the following options
1) Get a pair of in-ear phones.Sony makes a great pair of phones like this that sound miles ahead of the included ones they are the SL-71 model and I was happy with them on my vacation.Plus they are easy to carry and unobtrusive.They need very little voltage and current to drive so the walkman can drive to headbanging levels with unbelievable bass output for the size.They cost around 50 bucks so save some more or get another b'day soon.
2) Use the big cans with a dedicated pocket amp like the ones you can find on headwize site which is the reference site for head geeks.The c-moy amp is very cheap to and easy to build and will drive your sonys.Your father will probably be glad to help.

Interesting tell me more about the diy route :D Forget the buy the earphone route haha.

I really love these headphones, I know there are better but you know.. I am more then happy with them!

Last night I spent time listening to the recently upgraded sony cdplayer we have with the harris diodes, nichicons, etc... ho boy... a pleasure to listen to.

So I spent today at school (they practically didn't go off) I enjoyed it for sure, but I want that extra edge, memories of home listening on the home cd player... its treaterous!

So anyways, what is this little amp you speak of? I am wondering also if there's ways to upgrade the dac or make a new one or something... what comes out of the source is always most important I guess.

Thanks for reply, seems like few people get interested by walkman headphones and such :)

im going to point you to this site

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/projects/index.htm

adding a booster to your cd player may do the trick. There are several out there. Including one based off the OPA134 which is current limited to 30 or 40ma which may not cut it for ya...but there are people out there that swear by that setup. personally i would add a buffer to it.

what i would do is use two 9volt batteries or a virtual ground circuit with a opa2134 followed by a set of BUF634s. There are other chips out there that would work fine or better, but this would be a good setup and the parts are easy to find at digikey or the like.

Another cool option is to go to a surplus site and find some cheap lithium battery or two. Ideally two. This way you will have a lot of battery life in a convient and light package. Problem is that you will need to design or get a charger for the battery. But that shouldnt be too difficult since just about every chip manfucture makes a series of chips to charge lithium batteries.

another option is to use a NiMH as well but wheres the challenge in that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.