diyAudio (
-   Digital Source (
-   -   Newbie questions about DAC (

lobo 23rd January 2004 04:05 PM

Newbie questions about DAC
Hello, I'm a really a newbie in electronics. I'm eager to build a DAC but don't know exactly about it. Would anybody please help me with these few questions :
1. Is it true that DAC is a digital amplifier and better in audio quality than analog amplifier ?
2. I have 52x ASUS CD-ROM with digital audio connector at the back of it (the one with DO and G labels). Can I connect a DAC to this CDROM ?
3. If I use DAC, do I still need pre-amp and poweramp ?
4. I've searched this forum and often found the words TDA1541 and TDA1543. Are these somekind of DAC kit or just one of the components to build DAC ?
5. After searching this forum, I found a few links to DAC design and, but they're so complex and difficult for me to understand it. Is there any DAC design which is simple and easy to build, perhaps with the PCB layout ?

Thank you very much.

powah 13th February 2004 07:29 PM

You need drivecontrol like: PLAY, STOP, FF etc.
smth about "CD drive based on a computer CDROM" is here:

For real music:) you need good DAC which changes digital data format(s/pdif from cdrom) to analg sound(ears friendly:).

for example, high quality and not very complicated DAC is here:

good luck :)