CDPRO2- do you just add PS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, after reading for endless hours here and on the web, it looks like that if you buy the CD pro2 module and the ready working display board, RC handset, center hub, connectors, disc clamp and suspension parts from here:

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/page25.html

all that is necessary is to add power supplies. Ok, and some kind of case.

Is this true? Seems too easy. Maybe this is why it cost so much, right?

I'm thinking about doing it so let me know if there is more. For example, I don't want to be designing any clocks or digital circuitry. But I would really hate it if I got that stuff and needed to add something other than a case and power supply.

Well if it seems to be to easy maybe you shouldn´t be making one?
There are some complications. The psu is probably the hardest bit. And also you "need" a DAC.
Read some more endless hours and you´ll see what I mean.

Not meant to discourage you. By all means, buy one and build it but read up a bit more before :)

Coulomb said:
Actually the CDPRO2 has it's own DAC.
It provides several outputs, Line Level L+R Audio, SPDIF, AES/BEU and I2s.

All you need is a power supply and a case to get it going, the P/S is a little tricky but Nico gives you all the information required to get it going.

Regards

Anthony

How is the sound from the "buildt in DAC".????
24bit/96kHz isn't it ?
Some Philips DAC i presume....:D
Am considering one of this, but would apreciate to work/ pay on one thing at a time....:)

Lyra

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Building a working cdpro2 kit isn't hard at all, especially if you order the ready working board from Nico. There is a built-in dac in the transport, and a simple power supply can be made from a pair of regulators, a handful of caps (and transformer to power them). (i used a 7905 and a variable regulator for my first prototype). The new units have the 24bit dac, and the older ones have the 16bit dac.

If your goal is to build a solid, good sounding cdpro2 unit, this will take a lot more work. You will need to build a DAC for it, and more complex power supplies. There are also many considerations that I haven't considered yet.

I built a unit from scratch, making the control pcb myself:
http://brian.darg.net/cdpro2
My unit is currently in the working stage, and I have not had time yet to see how it compares to other units, and make it good sounding.

--
Brian

Lyra said:

How is the sound from the "buildt in DAC".????
24bit/96kHz isn't it ?
Some Philips DAC i presume....:D
Am considering one of this, but would apreciate to work/ pay on one thing at a time....:)

Lyra

I have not run mine yet, but the new CDPRO2M has a newer DAC and is supposed to improve on the sound quality.

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.