AD1865 DAC Transformer alternatives - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2014, 09:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AD1865 DAC Transformer alternatives

I know sowter is offering some transformers for current output DACs but they are too expensive for experimenting.
So here we are, has someone used something else? I am looking at cinemag CMOB-3 and CMMI-8B3 for example....

Last edited by DIYspaceW; 11th December 2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12th December 2014, 03:14 PM   #2
oshifis is online now oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Lundahl - but they are not cheap either.
Old 12th December 2014, 03:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I built my NOS AD1865 using the best parts i can afford. Using the sowter 9545 with OOC wire no less together with rhopoint passive i/v resistor to a tube output. The sowter 9545 is use as a balance to single but it can also use as balanced out.

No regrets...
Old 12th December 2014, 04:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't know of any hifi quality (amorphous or high nickel core) line level output transformers that could be characterized as cheap. You could save some cost, without quality sacrifice, the lower is the output impedance of the driving circuit, and/or the lower is the maximum trnasformer signal amplitude. Those two parameters greatly determine the cost of an audio transformer.

In your specific implementation, the passive I/V ressistors will mostly determine how low the driving source impedance will be. However, because you are using an active output stage (I'll assume it provides voltage gain) you should be able to find cost savings due to a maximum required undistorted transformer signal level that's reduced by a factor equal to the active stage's gain - compared to a transformer designed for direct line level output.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 12th December 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12th December 2014, 09:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the info guys...I am aware of the fact that good stuf costs more money but
this thread should deal whit the dilema of finding cheaper solutions to experiment whit and
maybe sound similar....

On ebay there is something like this available: ST-20600-OB

Also from edcor maybe something available or as I pointed to were the cinemags...
Old 12th December 2014, 11:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYspaceW View Post
So here we are, has someone used something else?
I wound my own DAC output trafos using ferrite PQ cores. Price of parts - around $2 each, lots of labour time though.
Old 13th December 2014, 01:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYspaceW View Post
Thank you for the info guys...I am aware of the fact that good stuf costs more money but
this thread should deal whit the dilema of finding cheaper solutions to experiment whit and
maybe sound similar....
Perhaps, then, the first issue to be addressed is why exactly do you want to employ transformer coupling of the AD1865?
Old 13th December 2014, 01:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This way its better isolation from DAC to the output circuit,
also you get a step up of signal...I used only tube output stage and it wasnt the max what I
expected...I also tried a simple Jfet stage whit mosfet source follower and it wasnt bad at all
but something is still missing...
Old 13th December 2014, 02:56 PM   #9
donovas is offline donovas  South Korea
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I wound my own DAC output trafos using ferrite PQ cores. Price of parts - around $2 each, lots of labour time though.
how? i want try
Old 13th December 2014, 03:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Happy to oblige - what voltage levels do you want to interface? Then I can suggest particular cores and wire gauges and numbers of turns.

Hide this!Advertise here!