DC-DC converter to get +-12V to feed the ouput opamps in DAC2000 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default DC-DC converter to get +-12V to feed the ouput opamps in DAC2000

I have a 7,2v accumulator,and if I use the IC MAX743 DC-DC converter to get +-12V to feed the ouput opamps in DAC2000,
Will the switch frekv. diturb the audio output?

MAX 743:http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2...._pk/1344/ln/en
Old 21st January 2004, 09:28 PM   #2
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You could also considder using a standard DC-DC converter. Like this one from Elfa: http://www.elfa.se/elfa/produkter/dk/2017321.htm

But either method will probably cause noise, so a metal shielding can will probably be a good idea. You should probably also add extra voltage regulators to remove noise/ripple after the converter...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 21st January 2004, 09:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You maybe don't want this advice but:

You could use 2 accumulators or even better, a decent transformer with a decent linear supply.

Don't expect much from switchers, they loose from linear supplies in terms of noise and they radiate RF in most cases ( certainly DIY switchers I might add ). Very hard to get them quiet and knowing that they will practically never be as quiet as good linear supplies I gave up trying.
Old 21st January 2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Benjlv is offline Benjlv  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Benjlv
could you explain your desired application a little more. I may be able to recommend another solution.

in general the inductor based power converters throw a lot of eletromagnetic noise around as a part of their function. This creates noise and thats no good. So unless you are able to keep the circuit away from the DAC or shield it very throughaly i would suggest finding another solution.
Old 21st January 2004, 10:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have a 7,2Volt accumulator and charger in my CD player that powers all +5v
in the cd(Pioneer pds 904)I have removed the trafo for +-12v,as
I have been using a tubeoutput stage,now I am building a Ext. DAC2000.I thought of powering the output ICīs in the DAC with
the 7,2v, but the opamps will not run on single + power(or will
they?)I thougt if I used a +- converter I got +- 12volts,and even
+- 5volts for the Dacīs.So the 7,2volts is in the cd player,what if I
put the converter in a shielded box?
Old 21st January 2004, 10:54 PM   #6
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Does the dac need to be portalbe or why the desire to have it powered frome one 7,2v battery?
Old 21st January 2004, 11:02 PM   #7
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Benjlv
could you explain your desired application a little more. I may be able to recommend another solution.
I have another application but the same problem, so I would like to hear your recommendations. My application is an SSM2019 mic. pre. that needs +/-12V or so. I need to power it from a 6V battery, so I was also planning a DC/DC converter. But if you have better ideas?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 21st January 2004, 11:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does the dac need to be portalbe
No,I thougt I got cleaner DC from battery,when I already have it in my CD player.Or whats your solution?
Old 21st January 2004, 11:22 PM   #9
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

"No,I thougt I got cleaner DC from battery,when I already have it in my CD player.Or whats your solution?"

No you wonīt a simple linear supply will most likely give a much better result,

Why not just get 2pcs of lead batteries?

/micke
Old 21st January 2004, 11:36 PM   #10
V/IR is offline V/IR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A DC/DC converter in a mic. amp is a real challange - but they used in professional phantom 48v boosters.

The biggest two problems are (1) the fast transients that you get with most modern current-mode switching regulators (2) the HF magnetic leakage from the switching inductor.

The fast transients can be dealt with by slugging the inductor switching with a capacitor this will affect the eff% of the converter but will help the transients. Using magnetically shielded inductors will reduce noise. Best would be to mount the DC/DC in the far corner of the enclosure in it's own electrically screened box with PI feed-thru filters on the inputs and outputs.

The other approach that gives a good noise figure and *no* inductor is the charge-pump. These are simple to build and will run at a fixed freq. AND duty cycle; you will need to re-regulate the outputs on these supplies - this would be great for +/-12V from 6V.

Hide this!Advertise here!