DC-DC converter to get +-12V to feed the ouput opamps in DAC2000 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2004, 11:34 AM   #11
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by V/IR
The other approach that gives a good noise figure and *no* inductor is the charge-pump. These are simple to build and will run at a fixed freq. AND duty cycle; you will need to re-regulate the outputs on these supplies - this would be great for +/-12V from 6V.
The Linear Technology LT1054 looks like a posibility. The datasheet includes a circuit for a 5V to +/-12V converter - the current is limited to 25mA, but that may be enough. I guess there aren't any higher power versions available?

With the 7.2V supply the original poster has available, I guess a regulated +/-12V supply using one LT1054 should be possible...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 22nd January 2004, 12:53 PM   #12
V/IR is offline V/IR  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The LT1054 would work, but maybe difficult to obtain and limited in the Iout possible.

Charge pumps are very easy to build and I would advocate building one from discretes and a 555 timer. Regulation can be done with a linear regulator after the event - unlike switched DC/DC you do not need active control on the charge pump. Anyone using a DAC could generate the charge pump drive signal from the LRCK (44.1KHz), no async. noise.

We designed a product awhile back that needed -1v to -3v to bias an LCD display; from recollection we had a spare microcontroller pin and ended up using this with a couple of diodes (BAS16) and small capacitors to get this supply - I guess it probably didn't cost more than $0.08

It might be interesting to design an 'audiophile' DC/DC converter...
Old 22nd January 2004, 05:04 PM   #13
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Anyone using a DAC could generate the charge pump drive signal from the LRCK (44.1KHz), no async. noise.
How is this done?The power konsumption of 4 OPA627 is 28mA
Max,maybee if i built 2 of these.One for 2 OPA627,or AD8610.And I wonder if the relays for switching between the 2 filter sections is realy nessesery?And it says on the schema for the LT 1054 that
max voltage is 15volts can I use 7,2Volts for the +- 12v schema
instead of 5v as it says on the schema?Meny questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac2000.jpg (99.4 KB, 144 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!