Audio Alchemy Transport-Help Please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some help if anyone has a moment.

I have an AA DDS PRO transport and it has stopped working. I have also managed to dislodge the lens :eek: but the problem was evident prior to this.

The problem is that it does not recognise a disk when inserted and there is no sound of spinning or other sounds expected when tray is closed. This tansport is based on the Pioneer stable platter transport which requires the disk to be placed in tray label side down. I have included photos and if anyone can suggest how I can get this unit working again I would be immensely grateful.\

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66639363@N06/15695126047/in/set-72157649057328707/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66639363@N06/sets/72157649057328707/

Answered lens question in other DDS thread just now, but if it stopped reading before the lens fell out, then it could either be that the lens was drooping already on an angle, making in unable to read, or the laser could be defective, as PEA1179's are not quite rarely prone to do. But it could also be the cap problem I discussed in other thread.

Hi Stephen. I'll be relying on others with skill to do the repair but can you tell me if the lens popping out is repairable or would I need new parts?

Just read your other reply so was good to see it's an easy fix. Is it simple enough to guide a mouth breathing head scratcher like me how to do it? When I looked at it I couldn't tell what actually holds it in place.

Caps will be next to look at.

The outer rim of the lens has a stepped diameter, the narrower part fitting into a plastic ring that is part of the moving focus/tracking-coils/lens unit called the focus actuator. If you do it under optical magnification with good light, even an "MBHS" should be able to do it. Obviously, check that the bottom side of the lens is clean(shine light accross the surface & it will be plain as day if it's dirty) before gluing back in. Lens, of course, needs to be neatly remounted before you can find out if the laser is bad or not.

I may not have time to attempt it this week but I'll certainly give it a go soon. I've read that methylated spirits can be used to clean the lens. Is this true or is it likely to damage it? Or should I clean it with distilled water and a very mild solution of dishwashing liquid then clean water to clean off any residue?

Any particular brand or type of silicone adhesive to use?

Many thanks for your help from this inadvertent DIY'er.

Well I glued the lens back in with silicone but the problem remains. I'm now wondering if the lens is seated perfectly flat but it appears to be.

When I tried to play a cd it loads okay but press the play button and there is a small plastic sounding click but that's it. Not sure where to go with this now. Do I buy caps and or laser or do I sell it on to someone with the skill to repair it. Cheers, Andy

The only remaining possibility, other than bad laser, is carbon in the platter motor. Generally, you'll hear a little creeky squealing sort of noise for a sec after load, but often not. Two ways to check- 1)find a spot at edge of platter where you can give it a manual spin(ccw) a half second or so after loading, at which time it will either squeal or start reading, or 2)get a can of silicone spray lubricant with extension nozzle tube and give a quick but solid spritz of it into the slots on either side of motor hub, then spin motor by hand a bunch, then see if unit reads, at which point repair has been made with the spray.
If neither step is fruitful, afraid it's time to find a new PEA1179 or to scavenge a good one from a PDS703/503. Or to sell it as-is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.