Schematics for the Pioneer PD s507

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if the schematics are available somewhere or if anyone has posted modifications of the player.
The thing i am trying to solve are too much emphasis on the high frequencies and a "uncomfortable" sound.

Anyone who knows if the Silmics that are used as AC coupling filters are any good, for this purpose. Opinions on shorting the AC caps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Leave the Silmics where they are if they are used as coupling caps at the output when they've small values. When a smaller cap can be mounted ( please calculate that with the input impedance of the amp/preamp ) you can replace them for BG N series in super E configuration or a decent film cap that fits.

In case it has NJM 4558 or 4580 I would change them to something good/better. Use the Search or browse the Digital section for advice.

I recall modifying a PDS XXX by placing a new supply for the output stage as it had unregulated +/- 8 V supplies.....

hello,

I ordered the service manual of this player including schematic at www.schaltungsdienst.de and will get it within next week.

There are some commercial tweak kits available for this player, those include the following:

some new diodes (BYV27/200 stuff)
tons of new electrolytics (e.g. Panasonic FC) and some film caps
60 VA torodial transformer for drive unit
OPA2604 OPamps and mica caps for output stage.
X02 clock

Apart from that Bitumen pads and Tyrofoam sheets etc. pp.

When I finished my 507 project i will report.

Cheers
Christian.

Hi folks,

I got my PD-S507 cd player as well as the service manual this weekend. I had to clean the lense quite intensively but now it reads CD-R as well. Unfortunately, It does not accept CD-RW. I know this is normal for cd transports of this age. But is there anything I can do about it?

Apart from that, even in original condition it sounds quite promising.

After I read the schematic I am planning to replace electrolytics as well as diodes to better ones. I will replace the opamp to AD8620. There are a few 1500pF (and 1000pF) caps around the opamp for filtering. Are these ceramic type? What is the best to place there? Styroflex? KP?

Then there are two coupling caps in each analogue stage for blocking DC. I definitely do not want to see them there. May I put them away (put a wire in their place) and measure cd on output?

Considering I have a coupling cap in my power amp, does DC in cdp output matter?

If anybody is seriously interested in the schematics of this cdp he/she may email me. Since I do not know about the copyright i do not want to put it here.

Cheers
Christian.

The ceramics caps are bad for audio...only NP0 types are good /low distortion/. Use NP0 types or polyester types.
And use output buffer /behind the output filter/.
You can measure DC voltage on output without output capacitors, if this voltage will be small no caps is needed.
M.

Thanks for all replies sofar.
short questions.
mrfeedback: Can i solder on the oscillator can or should i try some form of mechanical connection to the can?

I have also considered using a buffer after the filter since there does not seem to be any?

Is the BUF634 overkill for such an application it is certainly expensive, at least in Sweden.
Another idea is to use a discrete buffer stage from a old hifimagazine in sweden (high fidelity), which was designed by Lars Clausen. Or perhaps peranders diamond buffer.

Just a question does anyone know what happened to tschramas iv stage
here ?

Noone really replied if it was any good or if anyone ever built it?

If i get around to doing anything to the player i will report back.

Output buffer is very useful. If you don´t use BUF use discrete design /something similar to W.Jung buffer/ with OpAmp and apply feedback arround buffer.

I think PD507 have DAC with differential output....in my opinion you cannot use tschramas iv stage exactly...

I designed buffer with discrete uotput stage /better then W.Jung buffer/ . But I haven´t build it yet :( I´m designig board now.

Finally got a hold of a schematic.
The PE8001A seems to be a BB(TI)1716.

There is no need for any IV stage (voltage out) and the low pass filters seems to be passive.

The output buffers are a non inverting NJM4558 with 2x gain

There are no less than 2 silmics in the signal path per channel.

There are also muting transistors in the signal path, well not directly but still.

The analog ground and v+ is common with the digital for the DAC

The power to the 4558 is unregulated.

Argh where to start.

Maybe swapping the whole analog part for something that is proven to work with the 1716. Ill search a bit.

Hello,

yesterday in the evening a friend told me what to do ... this matches quite well what www.hoer-wege.de offers.

Here it goes: replacing electrolytics to larger and faster ones (e.g. panasonic FC) and bypass them with foil caps in analogue P/S, near the opamps for output and – important – near the opamps driving spindle and focus. For this P/S a larger torodial transformer would be a good idea.

Put some small electrolytics near the servo control.

The NJM4558 may be replaced with OPA2604 or 2132,2134 or a bit tricky with ad8620. the first electrolytic coupling cap might be replaced to BG or Pana FC (I did not find silmics in my player...) and bypassed with foil cap. The second coupling cap can be omitted. I will replace analogue filter caps with mica types. My friend said it is MKT which ist originally soldered in.

At a first step I replaced diodes in P/S, but this is more for good mood...

Apart from that I will build a digital output stage. He gave me a schematic which I will publish on my website later on.

After all those mods a kwak Clock will be put in. Its improvement for the sound might be negligible when using an upsampling dac.

BTW, the DAC of this player itself seems to be quite horrible. They call it Legato Link and I heard this calculates frequencies above 20kHz, which is not what I want from any cdp.

I will use this cdp as cd transport mainly.

Cheers
Christian.

hjelm said:
Finally got a hold of a schematic.
The PE8001A seems to be a BB(TI)1716.

There is no need for any IV stage (voltage out) and the low pass filters seems to be passive.

The output buffers are a non inverting NJM4558 with 2x gain

There are no less than 2 silmics in the signal path per channel.

There are also muting transistors in the signal path, well not directly but still.

The analog ground and v+ is common with the digital for the DAC

The power to the 4558 is unregulated.

Argh where to start.

Maybe swapping the whole analog part for something that is proven to work with the 1716. Ill search a bit.

Hi!
This is what I`m searchig for at the moment. I have a Pioneer PDS 707, but I think the analogstage is identical for the both. Just a filter around the opamp with a gain of 2.

What I have done to the analog stage in the past is this:
Replaced the opamp with an ad825 board from LC-audio.
Replaced the 1500pF filter caps with Rifa polystyrene caps wich I got from Josef Svalander.
New metalfilm resistors
Removed muting transistors and output coupling caps, silmic in mine.
Bypassed all lytics with polystrene caps.

The sound improved alot! But the styrene caps are giving me a headacke! They are way to big, and half of them had to go to the bottom of the board.

I`m in the middle of making a new regulated powersupply for the analog section with a 80VA toroid, but I have trouble with getting the decoupling caps close enough to the opamp. The original 1000uF are miles away from the chip. I`m about to give the whole analog stage up, and are searching for a new one to build. Unfortunally I can not aford a zapfilter.

Maybe I`ll try to get some TDA1543A`s and just nonoz the whole thing (Sony decoder, so I need the A version) and run it from a battery.

Interresting to see what you guys come up with!:)

Regards

Tor Martin

Has anybody tweaked the clock. As i understand you connect the crystal to the DAC directly and it drives the rest of the circuits(currently that is).
Where would you connect the clock for best results, at the input to the chip and disconnect the output to the other chips, and connecting the clock directly to them (the other chips)?

Yes you are correct.
The legato link from what i understand tries to estimate higher number overtones which are not on the CD itself. I do not know if it was a marketing gimmick or something but the press was if I remember correctly impressed with the nice squarewaves they could generate from the player(PD95). I was thinking in the lines of changing the analog filter so that i attenuate the highs more and thus removing most of this effect but that is for future plans.

krishu said:
Hello Tor Martin

actually, I ordered a non-os-dac kit from www.dddac.de (TDA1543N, I guess).

I planned to build the digital out "between". This means the crystal chip is in the way as well.

Please, can you tell me more about how to connect that TDA1543(A?) directly?

Cheers
Christian.

Hi!:)

I haven`t digged to deep into this. The problem is that the Pioneer has not got I2S, the sony cxd2507aq (is it the same in the 507?) does put the signal out in sony format. The tda1543 does not accept this format expect from in the A version.
The signal can be converted to I2S with a cicuit like this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=297035
The 1543A acceps this sony format without converting it.

To make this easy and with low cost I think I`ll rather build this dac into the player, maybe in some shielded box. Then you don`t need to add a coax spdif out and you don`t need the input reciever on the dac board.

I don`t know (somebody educate me) what happens if you send an upsampeled signal to a 16 bit dac, but if we don`t need the "high bit" chip we can tap the signals directly from the signal input of this chip after we remove it (DIL chip) with some suiteble coax cable.

Regards
Tor Martin:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.