Toslink PCB mounted Connector Blocks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Nanaimo is offline Nanaimo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Toslink PCB mounted Connector Blocks

I have a LynxTWO with an attached LS-ADAT card. Unfortunately, due to the poor mounting of the Toslink connector blocks on this card, one block has broken off and two others are loose. Only one block remains 'secure'. Although the board is designed to use two 'tags' as anchor pins - soldered to the PCB - such connector blocks have not been used here. This is strange considering the high end market Lynx Studio move in. Instead they have used the 'Solder and Glue' method - with the predicted result such as I am experiencing. With the need now to replace all four Toslink connectors I must source an outlet for them. I previously had to replace a PCB Mounted Toslink Connector Block in my Digital Audio Design 'Digital Audio Selector' 1U rack unit. The reason for change was simply that the live pins had corroded. Then I was fortunate in finding a pair of TORX176 on line. Does anyone know a source of these? Michael (UK)
Old 19th November 2014, 08:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The part No. I am seeking is: OC-0803.
In the TORX176 there are 2 types: TX and RX. Are the OC-0803 designated in this way also or are they capable of both Transmit AND Receive? Anyone?

Last edited by Nanaimo; 19th November 2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 19th November 2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Is there anything here,
Fibre Optic | CPC

(if the link doesn't work then search for SPDIF transmitters and click "fibre optic" in the list)
Old 19th November 2014, 11:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Mooly. I am contacting both CPC and Farnell about this. The only place I have had any response from is from XinXingl(HK)Co in Hong Kong. Web address: www.xxlelec.com I am also trying to get the answer to a fundamental question as to whether these blocks are able to both Transmit & Receive - or are they individually either Tx or Rx. The units are for replacing ones which have broken-in-Studio-use on a Lynx LS-ADAT card. It seems they're not strapped down but GLUED (!) in place - still having the appropriate solder connectors to the PCB of course. But the glue breaks down in time or just doesn't stand the hurly burly of Studio use. I have contacted Paul of Lynx Studios about this.

Last edited by Nanaimo; 19th November 2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: incorrect title in unit number
Old 19th November 2014, 12:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

I've never heard of combined transmit/receive units tbh but my experience with them is very limited. Perhaps deciphering the pinouts would give a clue. If such a combined device existed it would almost certainly have an extra pinout used as either as an extra input/output or as some mode change... I would guess anyway

Good luck with the search.
Old 19th November 2014, 01:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again, Mooly. Neither have I heard of a combined IN/OUT Toslink connector - but one has to ask!! I find that both CPC and Farnell are one and the same. I seem to be getting some joy from an old supplier of mine though: Alibaba. It was Alibaba who supplied me with a pair of TORX179's a while back. So I am hopeful! Just out of interest for you, the PCB in question (for the Lynx LS-ADAT) DOES have the two anchoring solder holes, but these wretched OC-0803's don't have anchor pins - just plastic extension with screw hole for face-place mounting or THREE contacts (unlike the TORX179's which have four). But there's no room on a PC mounting plate for such a mounting screw. So I must contrive an anchor strap when I eventually get these. This still doesn't answer the question of a Technical Data sheet for them - which should answer all questions!
Old 19th November 2014, 05:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, CPC was taken over by Farnell many years ago with Farnell concentrating on more the pure electronics side.

The TORX data sheets are available here, just enter the device number. I had no luck with the other parts though.

Datasheet catalog for integrated circuits, diodes, triacs, and other semiconductors, view

Hope you get it sorted.
Old 19th November 2014, 06:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly - the elusive OC-0803 is not there. I shall see what my contacts in Alababa have come up with.

Hide this!Advertise here!