Densen and Cambridge Audio CD-Players Repair - KSS-213c - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2014, 03:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Densen and Cambridge Audio CD-Players Repair - KSS-213c

I have a Densen B-400 and a "special edition" Cambridge d500SE CD-player on my work bench. Both of these players use Sony KSS-213c drive mechanisms. I have got generic replacement drives for both players, including the motor assemblies. Neither player seem to recognize inserted CD's with the new mechanisms. Am I missing something here?

Both players try to spin the CD at startup but fails to read TOC. Cambridge reads "No Disc". I believe both replacement lasers is working.
I know this is not much to go on, but any ideas what to try next?

Thank you.
Old 12th November 2014, 07:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You did remove the static protection shorting solder bridge from each laser, right?
Old 12th November 2014, 08:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I did. Thanks.
Old 13th November 2014, 02:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, it would then be logical to suspect that the "generic" laser/mechs you got are defective.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Noted, so this should have been fairly straight forward. I understand that original Sony drives are unavailable. These are aftermarket mechanisms from an electronics supplier, but I guess they are the same stuff you will see on ebay.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Was the original fault with the original pickup identical to what you are seeing wih the replacements ?
Old 14th November 2014, 01:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes and no.

The Densen player gradually died over a period, of say two weeks. It would start skip, then get worse, until it would not play any discs. With the replacement it will attempt to spin the disc, nothing happens.

Cambridge displays the same error/behaviour as before. Display reads "no disc". Attempts to read disc.
Old 14th November 2014, 01:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

I think I would begin by checking all the basics first such as all the supplies, including measuring for any excess ripple. It does sound like there is an underlying issue with the Densen. Concentrate on one player at a time.
Old 19th December 2014, 11:22 AM   #9
mircen is offline mircen  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

My D500SE have the same problem. Is it possible this is the Servo control issue? If it is laser/mechs problem, is tehere need for some adjust in sero?Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th December 2014, 11:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

It could be anything tbh. Its no good guessing, you have to do some tests and measurements to determine the problem.

Often a pick up will work without setup but if the adjustments are available then the player should be aligned correctly.

Hide this!Advertise here!