Densen and Cambridge Audio CD-Players Repair - KSS-213c

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Densen B-400 and a "special edition" Cambridge d500SE CD-player on my work bench. Both of these players use Sony KSS-213c drive mechanisms. I have got generic replacement drives for both players, including the motor assemblies. Neither player seem to recognize inserted CD's with the new mechanisms. Am I missing something here?

Both players try to spin the CD at startup but fails to read TOC. Cambridge reads "No Disc". I believe both replacement lasers is working.
I know this is not much to go on, but any ideas what to try next?

Thank you.

Yes and no.

The Densen player gradually died over a period, of say two weeks. It would start skip, then get worse, until it would not play any discs. With the replacement it will attempt to spin the disc, nothing happens.

Cambridge displays the same error/behaviour as before. Display reads "no disc". Attempts to read disc.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think I would begin by checking all the basics first such as all the supplies, including measuring for any excess ripple. It does sound like there is an underlying issue with the Densen. Concentrate on one player at a time.

My D500SE have the same problem. Is it possible this is the Servo control issue? If it is laser/mechs problem, is tehere need for some adjust in sero?
D500SE_Servo_Decidong%20board.JPG

Thanks, I'll try something with help of audio technician.
Actually the problem is: when there is no disk I hear the laser pickup’s tries to notice is a disk present (4 times “click” sound), so the pickup is doing something.
When a disk is present, the motor just start to run and after few seconds and the drawer is open (OPEN is on display).
In those few seconds there is no usual “scratch” sound when pickup is reading CD, like the pickup don't do anything.

Most players that use the KSS213(real Sony ones are certainly still available, btw) use auto-calibrating servo chips. Certainly the Cambridge is one such player. So, assuming you don't have anything obviously wrong, like failing caps in the supply(excess ac ripple on dc lines), it's a pass/fail system. Either the laser is proper & good and works fine, or the laser is out of spec & will not work fine. Simple as that.

Hi Mooly, well in second post I just write that it's not a open/close problem with drawer, and as stephensank say, I am afraid that the problem is laser. Anyway, I'll give it to technician to detect the problem. It's realy strange that till last day the player was working without any problem and next day player is dead :-(

The problem was in flat cable in mechanism! I opened the player, and disconnected all connections from mechanism. After couple of times I noticed that when I disconnect and reconnect the flat cable, the player is going to play as before! Probably, there is some deviation in flat cable, so I will replaced as soon as possible. When I am writing these, I am listening mu D500SE playing! I am happy again :-D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.