Optical vs Coaxial output - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2004, 12:23 PM   #11
krishu is offline krishu  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Giorgio,

please dont care about me, it is fine when you answer those questions maybe in form of a TNT-audio article later on. I am looking forward to reading it.

Good luck for you whatever your problems are.

Cheers
Christian.
Old 10th February 2004, 05:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Output

The optical transmitter has an electrical input. All you have to do is find the pin on the transmitter with digital signal and tap off that. However, my own feeling is that once its in digital format, its not really important whether it goes optically or by wire.

However, if you do believe optical is inferior, then using an opto to electrical converter is silly because you still have the opto in the signal path.
Old 10th February 2004, 07:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

How can optical transmission be inferior? Coax transmission is susceptible to noise. Even though optical transmission is limited by distance, there is no possibility for electrical noise. I image bandwidth is limited as well, but for PCM transmission, is optical really that bad?
Old 10th February 2004, 08:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Having recently designed an optical S/PDIF receiver for work, the one thing I can tell you is that the optical transmitter/recevier combination can distort pulse widths significantly - al least 10 to 20 ns IIRC. This is because of a significant difference between rise time and fall time of a pulse. This pulse width distortion can (depending on the clock recovery scheme used) increase jitter in the receiver.

In all other respects I would agree that an optical solution would be better, offering increased noise immunity as well as electrical isolation between transport and DAC.
Old 10th February 2004, 09:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ahh, I understand now. All transmission methods have their flaws and choosing the right one in a design depends on the application. My question is for using the S/PDIF output from a cd-rom drive. For transmitting the output to a CS8420, which is the best method for a maximum of 6ft cable lengths with 16 and 24 bit audio up to 96kHz?
Old 11th February 2004, 05:53 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi
What compromise a litlle the optical connection is the perfomance of the electrical to light transducer...if you see the pulses with a scope in the sending end tranducer TOTX and in the receiving end TORX you will see a rouding efect in the pulses...

Hide this!Advertise here!