KSS-213 laser family

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My CD player uses KSS-213C laser, and I have also tested KSS-213B just to get simmilar results(sound,playability,etc).

A local supplier told me that whichever laser from the KSS-213 family could be replaced for any of that same number... and that the letter aside the 213 means that the higher the word(closer to Z), then the more versatile the laser; allowing for more accurate reading of different brands of CD media. He also pointed out that newer portable, rugged CD players commonly use higher word coding lasers.

After thorough web search(Google, Copernic, Sony's site), I found very little info and no specification whatsoever...
I did found the KSS-213F that comes with a nice dust protection cap and also saw the existence of KSS-213V.

Recently, an electronic tech who does repairs, told me that KSS-213B was the best of the whole lot and that some KSSs could not be used in disrespective machines...

Any better clue?

Thanks

revisions . . .
the B is the ones most people ask for replacements . . . the d, e and f don't last long, from f to v they're supposed to have dust cap. can't use the A.

My KSS 213 was dead, I have three Sony CDP players, one of them unused: exchanged drive assy.(older revision) using the KSS 240. Much more stable, and it's old and still works, with a lot more playing. I wonder if the C is the only long lasting 213. The 213V is violet . . .

Kss-213q

Hi,

I also have a question, I've got a KSS-213Q!! with a light Gray dust cap - it’s used with a Philips SAA7824HL. Does anyone have information on this variant (is it specifically designed for the Philips Servo Chipset?).

I’m also looking for information on the KSS-213C, I cannot seem to find a Sony “Link” for there range of KSS heads...

Cheers,

John

Just for information:
http://www.agencies.com.sg/cdpickup.htm got some photos.
http://www.vcdpickup.com/SONY.htm too.

The 213 seem to be compatible with each others.

Except that eg. don't use an A to replace a B . . . but some like B to replace C works. But I don'T know if it's true.

Some models have some doors opening and closing over the lens, like the D on agencies.com.sg

Ok. After some consideration and since there are already several of us who own the same moody CD Player here using KSS-213C SONY lasers(and hence we will all benefit of any improvement found) ... plus the laser prices have been reduced lately. Thus I finally decided to try different lasers, not based on info since it appears it is nowhere available, but on experimenting.

So firstly, went for the KSS-213F, with its blue head and dust cup.
Once installed in its rail I found out that the dust cover would not adequately function because it need a plastic trigger that is not present in the KSS-213C transport and on the contrary it could be a block for the laser path. Hence I decided to take out the little metal spring and the dust cup(the easiest alternative to this, would be to implant a plastic bump, so when the laser comes back to start position the bump displaces the cup in its axis for the other end to move and cover the laser lens).
The extremelly good result is :D that now it plays all CDs I have tried so far, any brand and CD-Rs in a previously very picky player.

Since the CD player is a DJ dual unit I had to go to the vendor to get the other laser, only to find that for the moment they just had KSS-213D in stock.
This "D" laser unit also has a dust cup, plus the material encircling the rail bar is metal(better than the round platic holders the KSS-213C has) and since lasers now cost around US$15 each and I was curious enough, I decided to also try this other model.
The installation demanded removing the dust cup too and the results have been the same so far.
I have only tested them for less than a month but I can say that both "F" and "D" lasers seem to focus more easily than the "C", with less searching noises and no "error 4" so far. Model "D" looks better built.
Recomended!

PD: the player manual states:

KSS-213C
Laser: less than 0.4 mW in the lens
Wavelength. 760_800nm

Hi,
did you know this source for pickups?
KSS-213B/C listed at $7.95, there are letters from A to F.

IMO, dust cap on laser seems to be more gimmic than real thing to do an protection. Most of CD-ROMs (I think, virtually all) don't have this stuff, and running a long time inside vented PC case (with a lot of dust particles in airflows).
More, once CD is start spinning, it brings air from center area, twist it and push out in radial direction, like any spinning tool. At this moment, laser lens just sit inside of this cleaning air flow.

Seems discontinued.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-46796.html

http://www.donberg.ie/descript/k/kss190a.htm
I don't know what they mean by OUF OF PROGRAM ...

Searching from Yahoo gives some results:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p="KSS-190A"

Google = 0 results especially with electronic part numbers, as usual.

You will maybe need to find a donor CD player or a compatible pickup(It's sure you'll never find one with the same pinout but maybe one with the same connections). Or you can try to find a CDP with the same IC controlling the laser and to rewire it for an other pickup.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, you can find a cheap Sony with a compatible drive assy. I had a KSS-213B drive assy. in a CDP-XE300, and I didn't want to buy an other pickup. Stole the drive assy. from a full-of scratches CDP-3xx(312?) using a KSS-210a and it worked! You have to look for revision codes tho. a newer drive in an older CDP doesn't work. The donor CDP was from 1998 and the XE300 from 2000. (Keep the old drive, you never know)

EDIT(again):
http://www.sz-sfdz.com/cd-vcd1.html ?
vcdpickup.com ?

Also, somebody tried KSS-213V?

My CD player uses KSS-213C laser, and I have also tested KSS-213B just to get simmilar results(sound,playability,etc).

A local supplier told me that whichever laser from the KSS-213 family could be replaced for any of that same number... and that the letter aside the 213 means that the higher the word(closer to Z), then the more versatile the laser; allowing for more accurate reading of different brands of CD media. He also pointed out that newer portable, rugged CD players commonly use higher word coding lasers.

After thorough web search(Google, Copernic, Sony's site), I found very little info and no specification whatsoever...
I did found the KSS-213F that comes with a nice dust protection cap and also saw the existence of KSS-213V.

Recently, an electronic tech who does repairs, told me that KSS-213B was the best of the whole lot and that some KSSs could not be used in disrespective machines...

Any better clue?

Thanks

check out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/119235-sony-kss213c.html

I have something to add about KSS-213E that usually passes unnoticed. Under the lens and on top of the "hole" where the mirror/prism, laser diode and photodiode are placed, there is a small transparent glass (or plastic) square cover that prevents dust from entering and settling down in the mirror. I haven’t found this feature in any other KSS pickup. I found this highly interesting, since these pickups are 100% cleanable, not just the lens, but the insides too.

To see it and clean it one must remove the top black cover, and then slip a slim q-tip between the iron frame in order to reach the glass. I think that all KSS-213E players that came for repair to me where fixed just cleaning both lens and glass.

But beware, I’m talking about ORIGINAL pickups included in Sony compact HiFi and alike sold in the late nineties and first 2000. I’m sure that clone pickups will not carry this protective glass.

On the other hand, why it’s so difficult (or impossible) to find optical pickup datasheets? Any brand... It’s so easy for other electronic components, but not for pickups.

doubts on Arcam CD73 with KSS-213C

Hello everybody.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread and thanks for this one and the others explaining Sony laser technology.
The pickup on my Arcam CD73 started to be more and more picky lately so I decided to replace it and bought a KSM-213CCM assy. I mounted it following service manual and realized I had no great improvement. As per the service manual, I tried to get the same voltage as stated on the pickup label but I couldn't, while with the old pickup the voltage was exactly the same. Now I would like to buy a new pickup of a different letter and try if I can get more compatibility. Which one do you advise? would a or KSS-213D or KSS-213F be better?
The vendor of KSM-213CCM I have bought says I shouldn't have moved the potentiometer on the pickup at all and that the CD should have a service mode to be used to set the voltages but nothing is mentioned in Arcam service manual so I assume it sets up automatically.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you have fitted a replacement and found the fault symptoms haven't changed at all then you have to question whether there is another issue.

Isn't the Arcam prone to failure of the electrolytic caps in the power supply (drying out and bulging etc) ?

The preset on the pickup is factory set and should not normally need adjustment. As with any fault-finding on a CD player an oscilloscope is an essential item of test equipment and is used to look at the signal from the pickup.

To clarify: I'm not saying laser replacing didn't change anything at all, but the difference is low, and negative. The CD starts reading the TOC, takes longer than it is supposed to and sometimes fails to read printed disc without any scratch or obvious defect.
i've checked the capacitors and I can't see any sign of wear but I would be more than happy to replace them and solve if that's the issue.
I read a lot of threads and I know many times the laser looks as the obvious issue but it's not but thisplayer got the laser replaced in the warranty period (2005) so I suspected it was faulty again.
I don't have an oscilloscope but I would buy a cheap one to learn the basics, can you advise one?
Last thing: I would also try another laser type, just to see if it makes any difference (it's cheap and easy to try), do you have any advise.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You should really replace the laser with the exact same type that was originally fitted. I don't know what the differences between the different versions of KSS213 are although historically (on other KSS pickups) there were differences between the lens suspension characteristics such as stiffness etc.

The most cost effective type of oscilloscope for general servicing has to be an older analogue type of at least 20Mhz bandwidth. Cheap digital scopes (and certainly the cheap USB types) are no good at all for this kind of work.

Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.