SACD player Op-amp questions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, I just bought a Sony NS685V sacd/dvd player and of course I have opened up the lid to look for possible mods, the analog output board uses "ST C4558" op amps and 47uF output caps on it (electrolytic), the C4558 is a dual bipolar op amp in a SMD package.

My questions are, is the Burr Brown 2134 dual op amp a direct pin for pin swap? I have checked the PDF data and it looks to be, but what about offset voltages etc? I am not an expert so any advice is appreciated, I have all the de-soldering tools and SMD tools at work for the swap.

My other queastion is, what would you suggest swapping the 47uF electolytic output caps to? 47uF seems quite high, would I get away with less? If so I can get my hands on plenty of WIMA polypropylene caps to swap them with, would 3.3/6.6uF be too low?

Thanks again folks for your advice!

Chris

My questions are, is the Burr Brown 2134 dual op amp a direct pin for pin swap? I have checked the PDF data and it looks to be, but what about offset voltages etc?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, no problem

---------------------------------------------------------------------
you suggest swapping the 47uF electolytic output caps to?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Use 47 uF BGN

Yeah, get the 6.3V, 47uF Black Gate NX Hi-Q (non-polarized) caps.
If you use partsconnexion, it is item number BLKGATE- 60206 ($2.55 each).

I really like these caps for output decoupling purposes. As far as going lower than 47uF, it depends on what the rest of the circuit looks like. You 'may' lose low frequency bass if you go lower, but like I said, it depends on how the output stage is configured (in terms of R, L, and C components).

Re: Re: SACD player Op-amp questions!

fmak said:
Use 47 uF BGN

Hi Fred,
I don't get you :confused:
For someone stating being able to hear directionality of resistors :bigeyes: , your advice for BG-N as coupling cap is quite strange. IME it's just ok and gives one a hifi-ish sound, but not more than that, not even when using two anti-parallel.
And I do not hear directionality of resistors :D
There are quite a few more transparant and neutral caps out there, see the numerous threads on these forums. :)

Re: Re: Re: SACD player Op-amp questions!

rbroer said:

Hi Fred,
I don't get you :confused:
For someone stating being able to hear directionality of resistors :bigeyes: , your advice for BG-N as coupling cap is quite strange. IME it's just ok and gives one a hifi-ish sound, but not more than that, not even when using two anti-parallel.
And I do not hear directionality of resistors :D
There are quite a few more transparant and neutral caps out there, see the numerous threads on these forums. :)
--------------------------------------------------
Put this in context; probably the best choice for his situation. The BGNs take a LONG time to break in and are better than other lytics I know. If you like ANALYSIS then BG-FK.

There is no reason to spend e100s on a basic SACD.

:xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.