power supply for superpro 707 DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What would be an improved power supply for superpro 707 DAC

I have the superpro 707 Dac. I like it but what fun is it to leave well enough alone?

I'm curious to know if a better, custom power supply might improve the sound. If so, would it be a relatively simple supply thats doable for a diyer whos not an engineer or does it require something complex?

Would love to hear some suggestions.

Last edited by kifeinthesink; 22nd October 2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: cant write so good :)
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Let me ask a more specific question:

What is important in a DAC power supply. I saw one site where a fellow had a custom built DAC and he said the best sound was produced by a fairly standard, simple supply.

DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC - Non Oversampling DAC with PCM1794 - no digital filter - modular design DIY DAC for high resolution audio 192/24 192kHz 24bit

Are these questions pointless without the DAC schematic?
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

If you read all the "audiophile" web sites, you will come across a zillion "improvements" that make a night and day difference - according to the person that made the mods. Will you see any measurements, or blind ABX logs that would actually prove the result? Of course not.
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what your point is other than to take what you read with a grain of salt. Ok. Understood. Back to the topic.

I'm specifically asking about power supplies for the superpro 707 DAC. Are you able to provide any assistance?
Old 23rd October 2014, 07:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifeinthesink View Post
I'm specifically asking about power supplies for the superpro 707 DAC. Are you able to provide any assistance?
I guess not. While I have a fair bit of experience with both linear, regulated power supplies and SMPS's as well as a bunch of DACs, I haven't worked with that specific DAC.
Old 23rd October 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I should put the schematic up but I'll have to hunt for it.

Can you generalize from your experience with other DACs what characteristics of power supplies seemed to make the most difference?

My electronics experience is limited to following instructions but I'm guessing a regulated linear supply. I suspect something about adequate capacitance for 'filtration' might be important? Im really rather clueless although im trying to use this as a good project to learn more about power supplies.
Old 23rd October 2014, 04:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, a good, regulated supply is the place to start - but unlike a power amp, you don't need huge capacitors. Instead, HF characteristics are more important, so small filter/bypass caps are essential. You might even consider a series choke (inductor).

On the other hand, with a DAC, the real issue is preventing noise from the digital/processing parts from affecting the audio side and the clock. That is really something that has to be taken care of in the DAC, and the power supply can't do much there.

Hide this!Advertise here!