Sony CDP-101 Tantalum Replacement - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2014, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony CDP-101 Tantalum Replacement

Hi
I'm repairing a Sony CDP-101 with stuck tray. But while I'm at it, I was thinking of replacing the 1uf 50v Tantalum capacitors that come right before the brick wall. These are in the audio signal path, and tantalums don't often sound very good in the signal path. Anyone have any suggestions. I have some 1uf 50v cerafine's, the older red kind that I was going to use, but not sure if I should increase the microfarads, but i can also get any value from Mouser. Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 06:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The CDP-101 was the flagship of Sony and I don't think they would have put low quality capacitors in the audio stage. If they are not actually faulty, leave well alone!
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:31 PM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitrisky View Post
Hi
I'm repairing a Sony CDP-101 with stuck tray. But while I'm at it, I was thinking of replacing the 1uf 50v Tantalum capacitors that come right before the brick wall. I have some 1uf 50v cerafine's, the older red kind that I was going to use, but not sure if I should increase the microfarads, but i can also get any value from Mouser.
Any decent capacitor would be an improvement here, even a good bipolar electrolytic. A little larger value should be ok.
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:38 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The cerafines you have at the stock value should be a pretty substantial improvement. Tantalums are bad news in the audio path, but enjoyed a short lived popularity in the 1980s due to then prevailing audiophool myths. Unpolarized they exhibit some significant linearity issues. (I am not sure they are any better polarized, unlike conventional electrolytics.)
Old 4th October 2014, 04:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks I'm figuring as much. Read some article about how they are not to be used in the signal path. Stereophile I believe circa 1985..lol..Wonder if I should increase the Microfarad to perhaps 10uf. I believe the rants charge and discharge much faster. So a 1uf tant is not the same as a 1uf lytic?
Old 4th October 2014, 04:14 AM   #6
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitrisky View Post
Thanks I'm figuring as much. Read some article about how they are not to be used in the signal path. Stereophile I believe circa 1985..lol..Wonder if I should increase the Microfarad to perhaps 10uf. I believe the rants charge and discharge much faster. So a 1uf tant is not the same as a 1uf lytic?
Looks like C527 and C528 are 10uF/100V capacitors, probably not tantalums.
Are these the ones that you mentioned?
Old 4th October 2014, 04:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

no..AND C591 IN MY MANUAL IS 33UF 6.3V
THE 1UF 50V ARE:
C515
C519
C520
C521
C522
C550

Hide this!Advertise here!