adding digital input to a YBA CD player for use as a DAC ?

The existence of listening tests in the industry isn't disputed by me. You've not produced any evidence that design is done other than by numbers. ESS being the exception based on Martin Mallinson has revealed.
So what would an industry dedicated to the design and production of audio chipsets use those listening tests for ? Relaxation ?

I've at least produced two evidences of interaction in between listening and design though. The non-validation of the pcm2702 is integral part of the design process. The definition of an optimal bias point through listening for the lm4702 is another.

You seem here to be missing the point. Technology doesn't become good simply because its old. Nor is any new technology dissed simply because its new.
That goes without saying. What I'm trying to say by pointing to a place like groupdiy is that some people go at great length to recreate the best sounding gear of yesterday. They obsess about some audio transformers, caps, etc. They don't try to reproduce all old stuff, only what is considered superior to today's stuff. Strangely... there is no such obsession for digital gear.

Which claim of differences are you referring to here?
Surely you jest ?

According to the dozens of posts you've left on the forum, sigma delta are incapable to achieve "naturalness" (whatever that means), cannot offer "proper dynamics" (whatever that means), are audibly compromised due to "noise modulation" and so on and so on.

You'd think that the people recording live music would notice "naturalness" and "dynamics' being sucked out of their work. Apparently they either don't care or are deaf.

I've at least produced two evidences of interaction in between listening and design though. The non-validation of the pcm2702 is integral part of the design process.

Were you referring to the story told by Hitoshi Kondoh of Burr Brown back in 2002? If so its not relevant - because I've been talking about listening to DAC chips and they didn't listen to the PCM2702 it was merely an interface to another DAC chip, the PCM1716.

The definition of an optimal bias point through listening for the lm4702 is another.

And this is as irrelevant as the first time you mentioned it because its not a DAC.

What I'm trying to say by pointing to a place like groupdiy is that some people go at great length to recreate the best sounding gear of yesterday. They obsess about some audio transformers, caps, etc. They don't try to reproduce all old stuff, only what is considered superior to today's stuff. Strangely... there is no such obsession for digital gear.

I have no idea what your point is here.

Surely you jest ?

As you wish - I'd like chapter and verse for what you claim I've claimed so I can see what the context was for what you're claiming I'm claiming.

Were you referring to the story told by Hitoshi Kondoh of Burr Brown back in 2002? If so its not relevant - because I've been talking about listening to DAC chips and they didn't listen to the PCM2702 it was merely an interface to another DAC chip, the PCM1716.

And this is as irrelevant as the first time you mentioned it because its not a DAC.
Both are still as relevant as the first time as industry practice of not trusting blindly measurements. Which is all that this unnecessary OT is about.

I have no idea what your point is here.
Too bad.

As you wish - I'd like chapter and verse for what you claim I've claimed so I can see what the context was for what you're claiming I'm claiming.
You'd like ? Sure. Just search your own name + sigma delta (or multibit) on this board. That's not difficult. Blanket statements about sigma delta and multibit are all over the place.

Too many adjustment pots :(

they are not even sealed pots... but without a schematic we've no way to know what's going on here. There's this metal plate you can see with 'YBA' written on it that is glued onto the pcb and what looks like a footprint for an i.c. on the silk screen. But looking at it there's no evidence of anything underneath the thin plate, no i.c. whatsoever as the plate appears to be in direct contact with the pcb. Perhaps something SMD on the underside of the board.

What I do know is, it sounds darn good. With a Chesky recorded CD playing it's nigh on perfect.

From looking at your very clear pic it does indeed look as though there's SMT on the reverse side. The square/rectangular silkscreen lines mark the spot(s). A rectangular IC (80pins?) under the YBA and a 48pinner under the marking for IC101.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks a lot indeed for the very interesting advice.
Actually old dats are quite common on the market for very low price.
The best ones even with a broken transport can work as excellent DAC indeed.
May i ask you even if OT which exact model have you modded ?
I will open a new 3D to get some recommendations anyway.
Thanks a lot again for the very valuable advice. ;)
I have not thought about dats ... good !
Kind regards, gino :D

Ooops, sorry I missed your reply.
It was the Sony DTC1000ES and the PCM2500 (Player unit) , both have the TDA1541.

I created a small adapter board that add a digital input in a SAA7220 based cd player, when the player is in standby is becomes a DAC when there is a spdif lock.
when a CD is started it swithes back to CD mode

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

https://www.bramjacobse.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/demo_cd_dac.mov

CD Player as a DAC – Bram Jacobse

Last edited:
I broke in.... :D
This I guess Sanyo servo board was used is several players , Parasound , Audiomeca , Audio Aero etc etc . It's time to do full re- cap and to take care of those burned traces on Zener diode supplying display voltage. The boards are notorious for going bad. Can you post the dac picture ( I didn't read the whole thread )
Ps non of the pots need to be touched