Need some soundcard advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered this: M-AUDIO | Audiophile 2496 RTL to do the
exact same thing you're talking about.

was $150 at NewEgg with free shipping.

I'm building a quiet PC and ripping all my CD's down to .WAV files
with EAC (Exact Audio Copy)

Nice to have digital access to CD library...

will post my findings next week if you like :)

m.

My experiences....

are with the Creative Extigy, which introduced me to internet-radio streaming and MP3 in a nice way. This is a USB-based external sound card. M-Audio, which I'm using now, has the same arrangement.

The advantage is that I can run a digital stream out of the PC and position my soundcard close to the stereo via USB. Also, the soundcard has its own power supply rather than relying on the PC's, which is usually pretty noisy due to all that switching noise.

The nice thing about external devices like this is that you can then play around with tweeking the power supplies, which I did with the Creative by replacing the wall-wart 12Vdc supply with an HP regulated power supply, which really helped with the quality and tightness of bass. The M-audio Audiophile outboard unit, on the other hand, requires 9V of AC from the wall-wart and I've not messed around with tweeking the supply inside the box yet.

I'm seeing these being offered for pretty cheap these day as I believe that Creative is most likely rolling its product line and dropping the Extigy soon. One thing it had going for it was lots of different inputs and outputs. The M-audio model only has MIDI and analog inputs and analog outputs - just right for me, however.

I can't imaging what I'd do without one of these little ditties as I do listen to lots of hours of internet audio streaming in the form of jazz stations.

Cheers,

David

I'm seriously considering the M-audio firewire 410 as an upgrade to my Audigy 2 for separating the soundcard from the htpc. Does anyone have any experience of the analog out soundquality of these?

I'm using the soundcard to drive my active speakers (under rebuilding at the moment) so the dac is quite important to me.

Anyway, I'm using myHTPC and foobar2000 to browse and play music (with powerdvd for movies) and that's an unbeatable combo in my view.

Anders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.