diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   LCAudio XO2-Clock (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/26118-lcaudio-xo2-clock.html)

Lyra 15th January 2004 03:48 PM

LCAudio XO2-Clock

I vent for the EASY sollution, and byed me a "new" clock, instead of building it.....well, anyway I byed a used clock... toghether with a ZAPFilter MK2, and a DVD-player. Actually I need all theese components, but not together....
The clock, and the ZAPfilter goes to my good old Denon DCD-2560 CD-player, that really needed some work now......and the old (cranky !?) DVD-player replaces my crappy! Mustek V560 DVD if I can make it work properly.

XO2: On the site of LCAudio it is suggested to mount the power-cord to the output of the 7812 regulator already in the CDP (if I couldn't use a new supply). They state that the XO2 should run on a supply between 10V, and 26V.....wouldn't it be better to connect to the input of the 7812-regulator, and leave the originaly 12V as intact as possible ????

BTW: The frequency of the clock is wrong 8,???? MHz, instead of the needed 16,???? MHz....can I use the original x-tal from my player and still expect the clock to operate as it should?

...and another thing......how big difference (sound) is there between LCAudio's XO2, and XO3, and yet to other good clock like the KWAK7 or similar???

All the best ! :-)
LYRA

Audiofanatic 15th January 2004 09:04 PM

Clock's, I still hear them ticking!

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't find my post regarding the diference between the KC-7 and the LC Audio XO2 (and the Tent DIY clock).

If I can find it, I'll post the URL for you on this thread.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

machinow 16th January 2004 05:26 AM

Yes, u can replace the crystal osc, and I hope It will work. But better use the filtered /already regulated/ 12V supply.

Elso Kwak 16th January 2004 06:58 AM

Supply for KWAK-CLOCK

Quote:

Originally posted by machinow
Yes, u can replace the crystal osc, and I hope It will work. But better use the filtered /already regulated/ 12V supply.
Hi Machinov and Lyra,
I found it sounding better using the raw supply i.e. the input of the 7812.

:cool:

wiligruen 16th January 2004 07:12 AM

Hi Lyra,
Use a separate power supply for the clock. In my Sony XB940 I use a small 12V switched mode power supply, sounds definitely much better.
Wilfried

Elso Kwak 16th January 2004 07:51 AM

Switched Mode Power Supply?

Quote:

Originally posted by wiligruen
Hi Lyra,
Use a separate power supply for the clock. In my Sony XB940 I use a small 12V switched mode power supply, sounds definitely much better.
Wilfried

Hi Wilfried,
A switched mode power supply for a clock? I find it hard to believe.
:bawling: :confused:

fmak 16th January 2004 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wiligruen
Hi Lyra,
Wilfried

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The XB940 has one of the dietiest PS I have seen anywhere; probably a design fault!

rbroer 16th January 2004 08:26 AM

I've succesfully replaced the crystal on a XO clock, I guess the same applies for the XO2 and XO3.

Lars Clausen 16th January 2004 09:11 AM

When you use the CD player's power supply, the ground potential for this power is taken from the CD player's ground.

When you use an extra power supply, the return path is kept to this power supply, so the CD player is connected to the clock signal only.

That gives the main performance difference of these two options.

Crystal change: It will probably work, most crystals are compatible with the Collpitts oscillator. However you will not get the exact frequency out of it, when it is not adjusted. Also there is difference in the clock's performance, using different qualities of crystal. We offer a service to our customers who want to change crystal: A new original crystal + adjustment for 15$.

Lyra 16th January 2004 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fmak

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The XB940 has one of the dietiest PS I have seen anywhere; probably a design fault!

Just wonder....what is <dietiest>. Not familiar with this word :xeye:

Lars Clausen: Adjustment....can I do this myself ?. Does all clocks have this ? If I build a Kwak-Clock later, does this have to be adjusted also ? .....and if I get a XO3 later, will I hear any difference ?, and if I do...how much??