LCAudio XO2-Clock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I vent for the EASY sollution, and byed me a "new" clock, instead of building it.....well, anyway I byed a used clock... toghether with a ZAPFilter MK2, and a DVD-player. Actually I need all theese components, but not together....
The clock, and the ZAPfilter goes to my good old Denon DCD-2560 CD-player, that really needed some work now......and the old (cranky !?) DVD-player replaces my crappy! Mustek V560 DVD if I can make it work properly.

XO2: On the site of LCAudio it is suggested to mount the power-cord to the output of the 7812 regulator already in the CDP (if I couldn't use a new supply). They state that the XO2 should run on a supply between 10V, and 26V.....wouldn't it be better to connect to the input of the 7812-regulator, and leave the originaly 12V as intact as possible ????

BTW: The frequency of the clock is wrong 8,???? MHz, instead of the needed 16,???? MHz....can I use the original x-tal from my player and still expect the clock to operate as it should?

...and another thing......how big difference (sound) is there between LCAudio's XO2, and XO3, and yet to other good clock like the KWAK7 or similar???

All the best ! :)
LYRA

wiligruen said:
Hi Lyra,
Use a separate power supply for the clock. In my Sony XB940 I use a small 12V switched mode power supply, sounds definitely much better.
Wilfried
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The XB940 has one of the dietiest PS I have seen anywhere; probably a design fault!

When you use the CD player's power supply, the ground potential for this power is taken from the CD player's ground.

When you use an extra power supply, the return path is kept to this power supply, so the CD player is connected to the clock signal only.

That gives the main performance difference of these two options.

Crystal change: It will probably work, most crystals are compatible with the Collpitts oscillator. However you will not get the exact frequency out of it, when it is not adjusted. Also there is difference in the clock's performance, using different qualities of crystal. We offer a service to our customers who want to change crystal: A new original crystal + adjustment for 15$.

fmak said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The XB940 has one of the dietiest PS I have seen anywhere; probably a design fault!

Just wonder....what is <dietiest>. Not familiar with this word :xeye:

Lars Clausen: Adjustment....can I do this myself ?. Does all clocks have this ? If I build a Kwak-Clock later, does this have to be adjusted also ? .....and if I get a XO3 later, will I hear any difference ?, and if I do...how much??

Clock Questions

Lyra said:

Just wonder....what is <dietiest>. Not familiar with this word :xeye:

Lars Clausen: Adjustment....can I do this myself ?. Does all clocks have this ? If I build a Kwak-Clock later, does this have to be adjusted also ? .....and if I get a XO3 later, will I hear any difference ?, and if I do...how much??

Hi Lyra,
I guess Lars meant dirtiest!. The r is next to the e on my keyboard.
The KWAK-CLOCK needs no frequency adjustment but if you insist you can mount a 40-100 pF trimmer in series with the crystal. Arne made a post about that:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=251652#post251652
I can't hear the very slight frequency deviation, but who am I?;)

And there I got my used Philips DVD 711 including ZAPFilter Mk2, and XO Clock2.
It plays music very well !! :D

My thought was to pick out the zapfilter, and XO2-clock, and mount this in my good old trusty Denon DCD-2560.

But if I do that the Philips will be dead, cause I dont got the schematics, and dont know how the original clock configuration should be....

Do the XO-clock help the player in any way when used as DVD-player only ?

Can anybody help me out here ? pleeeease :rolleyes:

Lyra

In most modern DVD players (budget models) a low jitter clock will not help a lot.
They contain "Multi-Clock Generators" that set the jitter values, independant of the quality of the input frequency.

It's fairly easy to remove the XO2 from the DVD, IF you have the (original) crystal and some small capacitors (pF), probably SMD's.
You mount the crystal and capacitors there where the XO feeds to, should be very obvious to locate...:cool:

Same applies for the output stuff, you know where the ZAP connects to...
As long as the original opamps and passives are still on the board. Otherwise it will get more difficult without schematics...

I get the feeing you did not install the Lcaudio stuff in this Philips ?

rbroer said:

As long as the original opamps and passives are still on the board. Otherwise it will get more difficult without schematics...

I get the feeing you did not install the Lcaudio stuff in this Philips ?

Right...I didn't install this stuff in the Philips. I bought it used (cheap/ aprox 120 Euro) just for the parts. The DVD-player was told to be cranky/ defect, but it works perfect !!! :)
I want to use the LCAudio stuff in my good old Denon player. Think it would make more sense there !?

The ZAPFilter is mounted in paralell to the original output on the Philips (think the DA got voltage-output) ( it is sound on both outputs). I have tried both mounted to different inputs on my preamp, and it is a extremely HUGE difference in sound. Difficult to find words regarding the difference but when playing with the original outputs, it sounds like I play music with my loudspeakers packed in stuffed closed cartons......or submerged in my bathtub..... :D
The difference is like a good HiFi versus a crappy ghettoblaster....i think...or do I... :xeye: :eek:

But...when I mount the ZAPFilter in the Denon it got a DA-converter with I-output......
Should I cut the traces going to the old I/V stage, and mount the ZAPFilter according to LCAudio site ?

rbroer said:
It's fairly easy to remove the XO2 from the DVD, IF you have the (original) crystal and some small capacitors (pF), probably SMD's.
You mount the crystal and capacitors there where the XO feeds to, should be very obvious to locate...:cool:

Could I use the caps removed from my CDP where the clock is going ?
Isn't the value of theese caps important ?

All the best!
Lyra

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.