S/PIDF coupling or a/b box ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

Is a spidf connector (and wire) the same as rca?

I think not as the quality of the two I hold in my hand are different, yet similar.

Briefly, I have an audio set up.

The audio interface I use does not play nicely with other programs.

For this other program (software), I am considering purchasing and using a different interface when that software is in use.

My speakers have 3 types of inputs, s/pdif, aes, analog line.

I am using the s/pidf and would like to have the new interface also use the same s/pidf in.

My thought is to remove the s/pidf wire from my interface which is going to the speaker. Keep the other end in the speaker.
Add two s/pidf wires, one from each interface.

Then use a "s/pidf" coupling to connect either one interface or the other to the speaker.

Which brings me back to my original question kinda. Will a RCA coupling work for s/pidf wires?

Also, as this method of switching back and forth is a bit barbaric, would there be some type of single pole double throw s/pidf switch made that I could use instead to switch back and forth?

Thank you.

Many thread in the digital line section talked about that few months ago.

SPIDF is a 75 ohms protocol but most of the commercial brands use 50 ohms & RCA 50 ohms plugs and chinchs. The most hearable result is a lack of definition and power in bass mid-bas range in my experience.

A simple TV cable is 75 ohms. Take male & female true 75 ohms BNC (because some 50 ohms exist also with BNC) will give you better improvement than the most expensive false digital rca cables (which are 50 ohms like the one for analog !)

note some rare 75 ohms rca exists but in any case you have to mix 75 ohms and 50 ohms in you digital line transmission. It results in a worse result than your actual all 50 ohms !

So if 75 ohms : change alls the conectors in 75 ohms for both devices and the cable (simple TV one or a good Belden if you can find it !)

Thanks Eldam,

I'll look for that post.

I'll do some more research to see about keeping it all spidf.

Is flopping back and for between spidf in and outs odd?

If it's going to turn into a pain in the ars, I would rather not, but will leave the spidf alone and come from a new interface to the speakers with a ts or that xlr looking connector and then switch between feeds via the speaker.

https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/lsr4300-series/lsr4328p#.U_sq7Ch8tvY

Thank you for the reply.

BNC coupling?

Not that I doubt it but, it looks like where the hole is for the post in the spidf connector is too far back.

Also, there are the posts which come out of the sides of the coupling.

Will it work? Do the posts get snipped off or cut.

Yes, currently the interface to spidf on the speakers is "spidf "wire.

As you suggested, BNC or RCA... which would you use?

Sorry....
I don't see how the spidf will fit the BNC

The tabs out of the side.. and the internal hole ???

Attachments

• spidf.jpg
    spidf.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 68
  • bnc.jpg
    bnc.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 67
You misunderstand. There is no such thing as an 'SPDIF connector'. There are two common options: 75ohm BNC (as used for component or composite video) or RCA. BNC is electrically correct, but RCA is good enough. You can't join RCA to BNC, as you have discovered.

You just need to buy or make the appropriate cable for your equipment. This will be a normal good quality 75ohm coaxial cable, with the appropriate connectors on each end. Don't buy 'audiophile' cables - they are a waste of money. If you need RCA on one end and BNC on the other then this is fine.

If you are making equipment then you can choose to use BNC or RCA. Up to you.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions (and education).

Much appreciated.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but asking,

I'll do some more research and see if I'll go spidf (rca) to bnc or stay all rca.

By chance would you know of or suggest where to look for the "A/B" switch.

Would a 75 ohm rca (tv) work Or would you suggest a different one or BNC
A/B switch (if they make them).

Thank you.

Pic has nothing to do with audio, just sent it to show what I ripped out yesterday.

Attachments

• meltdown 1.jpg
    meltdown 1.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 39
Beating that dead horse.

Been navigating around the sight.

Pretty intense stuff!

Googling,looking at bnc to rca adapters and bnc A/B switch.

I would ask if something like this would work, but the make before break could be a problem, right?

I will keep looking.

Attachments

• A:b.jpg
    A:b.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 37
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.