Linn Mimik Strange Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Linn Mimik CD player is exhibiting some strange transport behavior.
As soon as the unit is powered up the laser head moves to the outer most limit, but won't stop. The sled motor keeps running. At this point it obviously starts to skip gear teeth.
It will occasionally start to move in towards the spindle, but then immediately upon hitting the limit switch moves back out again. The spindle motor spins all the time at one speed as well.
It's a Hitachi laser HOP-M3 I believe. The laser has been replaced, but did not change anything.
Has anybody seen a player do this, what could cause it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Only you know the players history (as in did you buy it new and it has naturally failed in use or is it some purchase such as ebay :))but things to check are supplies... if any rail is missing then that is a typical symptom. Also are any clock signals to and from the system control missing.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Worth investigating but might prove inconclusive. Philips based machines (I don't know if this is Philips based or not) often have discrepancies like that between diagrams/boards and actual measured. Worth a look though, and its also worth checking them all on a scope too to make sure its not full of ripple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.