Recommended i2s to spdif chip - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Recommended i2s to spdif chip

Hi,
I am interested to make a i2s to spdif pcb so I can get the digital out of my raspberry into my DAC.
I know that there are some chips that do that but have no idea on quality etc.
Could anyone list some with short pros and cons please?
Thank you.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You might want to consider this:
24Bit/192KHz ES9023 DAC, I2S input, Ultra Low Noise Regulator - DIYINHK
Old 25th July 2014, 11:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not quite,
I need a SPDIF output, not analog. I have my own DAC that I want to use. My DAC also supports i2s but I want to keep that path as short as possible that's why I want to use my DAC via SPDIF.
I need a chip that does i2s to spdif only. But there is some nice information about the layout in that link
Old 26th July 2014, 12:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/document.../en/WM8805.pdf

It doesn't do only I2S to S/PDIF, it goes the other way too.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:36 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Wolfson WM8804 as well..
Old 26th July 2014, 12:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trileru View Post
Not quite,
I need a SPDIF output, not analog. I have my own DAC that I want to use. My DAC also supports i2s but I want to keep that path as short as possible that's why I want to use my DAC via SPDIF.
I need a chip that does i2s to spdif only. But there is some nice information about the layout in that link
FWIW I have made two identical dacs, one with i2s input and the other with spdif input. No idea why, but the i2s version sounds remarkably better. If your dac has i2s input, why aren't you keen on using it?
Old 26th July 2014, 12:38 AM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I was going to ask the same question, I2S will probably provide better results with the RPi if the dac is somewhat jitter tolerant.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I may go with wm8804 as I have only 1 channel.
I can't put my raspberry pi inside my DAC as it does not fit so then I'd have to run longer i2s wires and that's not recommended... right?
Old 26th July 2014, 12:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
With I2S there's no isolation from common-mode noise, with S/PDIF a trafo can be used. Longer (say up to 15cm) I2S wires aren't generally a problem.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

15cm would only give me room to cut the case and run the wires outside into the Pi that would sit on top of it.
Or, make a new enclosure that can fit both the DAC internals and the Pi, and the power supply for the Pi and a source selector so I can use the Pi for streaming and PC when needed. And that's a hell of a lot more money than I'm willing to spend

Hide this!Advertise here!