WeiTone DeCode 4.0.1 - DAC Board (Dual ES9018 + Cyclone III FPGA) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
NuTron is offline NuTron  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default WeiTone DeCode 4.0.1 - DAC Board (Dual ES9018 + Cyclone III FPGA)

Hi everyone
I found an interesting design of a dual ES9018 DAC. Unfortunately I couldn't get much information about the Board. Maybe take a minute to get a look:

FPGA软控的双并ES9018高烧解码-淘宝网

晚来的双并ES9018续_第二板 - Powered by Discuz!

Click the image to open in full size.

I tried to get in contact with the seller, who also claims to be the designer. Although we couldn't realy communicate (I don't speak chinese, and google translate is a pain), he convinced me to be involved in the engineering process.

My first thought on this was; could the ESS Chips maybe be feed by a synchronous master clock from the Cyclone FPGA? There is a discussion on this forum and as far as I know Weiss used a Dice chip to implement a synchronous master clock in their 202.

I asked him about this, but I think there were too many missunderstandings, so I didn't get a satisfying answer... I know, without any detailed insights, one can probably only speculate, but what do you think? Does it make sense, that a Cyclone FPGA is used to generate a synchronous master clock?
Old 24th July 2014, 11:17 AM   #2
NuTron is offline NuTron  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Just a small update. A closer look revealed, that indeed the MCLK is feed by the FPGA. Still I can't figure, if the master clock is synchronized with the bit clock (an exact multiple of it). I'll try to get in touch with WeiTone and ask again ... But anyway, what do you think of the board, is it worth a try?
Attached Images
File Type: png fpga_mclk.PNG (388.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 5th August 2014, 07:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Do you know the register address of the ES9018?
The datasheet says REG#0 to REG#71. What I understand is the address is from
"0000 0000" (REG 0)
to
"1000 1110" (REG 71)
But it's not working

Hide this!Advertise here!