Modding philips home entertainment system with spdif optical input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe the model i have is the HTS3051B_F7. (im not at home where i have all my info)

Anyway it didnt come with optical input but when i popped open the case to order better caps, i noticed a spot on the board for it. i looked into the schematics in the service manual and compaired it to the board. Everything seems to be there except 2 capactors (didnt check for voltage yet). the middle pin goes to ground with a capacitor but it doesnt share a value. and there is some sort of nano cap on the bottom of the board thats not there either. any ideas? also what are the odds of me needing to update the firmware to enable that input on the chip?

btw hello everyone! im going to get to know you better when i build a amp/dac in a couple weeks

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A typical SPDIF receiver will have 3 connections (although the package may have many leads) of +5 volts, ground and output. Its typical to have a small decoupling cap right on the power pin and ground, possibly with the supply being inductor fed from the main 5 volt rail.

Would it work ? No idea. Its probably got all the essentials but as you say, you may need to enable the feature, possibly using a service mode and [special= remote... or maybe not :)]%[/special]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.