Philips CDM 1 MKII transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I came across plastic Marantz player that have drive named CDM1/MKII.The player doesn't detect the discs.Probably laser died.This laser is quite similar to CDM4/19.What differs is that it has aluminium chassis and the motor spinning the cd is diffrent.
When I put the cd in to the player it slightly spins it two times and says no disc.
I have other player that uses CDM4/19 and I took it apart and compared.I figured that the arm with its magnet and laser lens is identical to the one in this CDM1/MKII.I put the one from CDM4 to CDM1 but it didn't work.

Are the arms/lasers from CDM 4/19 and CDM 1/MKII interchangable?
What kind of drive CDM1/MKII is,is it more popular than raw,probably older CDM 1?

Bartek

Hi,

CDM1/MKII was an attempt to let the market believe that all the good aspects of a real CDM1 were back. However the truth is that a CDM1 became simply to expensive (costprice!) to compete on the market. So some visible parts were made out of metal and the rest borrowed....

Go through the checks for laser, focussing and radial tracking to see what is dead. May be you can exchange parts.

Success!

Ward

CDM1 in CD80 can be repleced CDM4/19

Hi,

I have got the same problem with my CD80, I put the laser head of CDM4/19 in and it worked, but it just worked like the laser head of CDM1 itself. I think the problem is the Motor, you need to open and clean the motor may be put some oil in the ball-bearing. Another possibility is less current running into it. Replace new caps may help.

Chuong

Thanks for answers.

It is strange that those two look identical (I even measured magnet and laser lens windings and they are the same) but they seem to be diffrent.
As I said I put the arm/laser from CDM4/19 to CDM1/MKII and it doesn't work.
I also try to put arm/laser from CDM1/MKII to cdm 4/19 (Just in case it really the motor is broken) and it didn't work either.
This is either bad coincidence or they are not the same.
If I had another player using CDM1/MKII I could easily detect what is broken,wheater it is laser,motor or whatever.

Bartek

Hi there,

I check my CDP last night but could not find any thing relates to CDM model, but the body is solid alums and cross zig-zag on it. I also did the cleaning for the motor, because it is still skipping after track 3,4...

Bad news is when I reassembled it and play. The CD does not work, and some buttons in front were on all time. I can not even press anything, even open the tray, the player ignore me!... do you have any idea?. I am sure that CDM4/19 laser head does work on my CDP.

Regards.

Chuong

EDUM said:
Hi,

CDM1/MKII was an attempt to let the market believe that all the good aspects of a real CDM1 were back. However the truth is that a CDM1 became simply to expensive (costprice!) to compete on the market. So some visible parts were made out of metal and the rest borrowed....

Are the CDM1 and the CDM1 mkII completely interchangeable?

I mean, if I have a CDM1 mkII, can I take an old CDM1 to have parts
I may need in the future?

Thanks

alessandro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.