CD10 any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I´ve got one of these. Build quality is good (16kg) and there are some nice parts used in the power supply.
Doesn´t sound very good in standard form and needs a lot of work.
Parts substitution is a bit difficult because of the dac7 set. There are 3 smd opamps per channel you´ll have to change plus one pair on the output board.
I did this plus L-Clock02, plus Panasonic FC, plus Slit foil main caps, changed resistors, threw out output caps. Everything togheter made a huge change but it is still beaten by my Perpetual Technologies P-3A (unmodified) wich is
a: cheaper than all the mods togheter
b: easier to modify for further improvements

Another possibility would be to build a special discrete output stage for the Marantz but because of the used chipset you can´t get rid of all the opamps.......or just use it as a transport.

william

hmm, interesting. Thing is on a component that would still not be that cheap i wouldnt push my luck and just stick to a reclock and a few cap upgrades at important locations. Mind you i think it might have a seperate PCB for dac etc which might make it useful. For that kind of undertaking id probably want to pay someone for their help (my diy skills are very limited really and i woudlnt want to wreck something like that)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: CD-10

On the CD-10; most important/first change is the DC-blocking caps...: C663+C664 (47uF/25V) and C653+C654+C655+C656 (220uF/16V)
(the last four; change into two 100uF bipolar, as they are polarized back-to-back).
Cheapest good-performing bi-polar caps are the yellow ones from RS-supply, Black-Gates if you can afford...

Arne K

Its CDM4 /19 (i think - of which i have a few). I guess a schematic would be needed. I know that they had on board crummy op-amps and that the dac output could be taken before that - i wonder if all the marantz (CD72 MK2/CD10/CD16 etc) players used the internal op-amps?

On the TDA1547 (DAC7) there is provision for taking the output directly after the switched capacitor network. I dont beleive this exists for the SAA7350/7323/7321 dac chips.

EDIT: just checked datasheet for saa7323 and you can access the switched capacitor integrator output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.