Audio Note Dac1.1x upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I recently bought a "new" Audio Note Dac1.1 refurbished. It has the lateste boards. (The same as on the audionote webpages.
However it sounds a bit dull (lack of definition), and I know it has a big potensial.
I read on the audionote webpages that there are some changes between the different versions, and I like to know how to upgrade this dac to i.e. dac2.1x or prefereably dac3.1x. Of course I am aware that any waranty etc. will be destroyed once I open it, but that is my problem.
I can see that one of the differences is the "I/V Interface matching" which in version 1.1 has a "resistor over copper choke", and in version 2.1 has "Audio Note™ TRANS-410 copper wired mumetal core transformer" and in 3.1 "Audio Note™ TRANS-496 copper wired fully interleaved Supermumetal 250 cored transformer".
Is it possible to buy one of these and mount it on the analog board?
And how is the approach to this?
Of course some of the parts (resistors and capacitors and internal cablig) is changed also, but that is another story. I assume that is a direct replacement with better types (black gate, tantalum resistors)
I will email audionote regarding these issues.

Any other modification tips are also interesting.

Best Regards

Now this seems interesting. I took a picture of the analog board on my dac and compared it with the picture on audionotes page.
First the original from audionote
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And lets compare it with the analog output on my dac:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A significant difference.
It seems that all of the an dacs have the analog stage from the first picture.

Regards

Konnichiwa,

bambadoo said:
Now this seems interesting. I took a picture of the analog board on my dac and compared it with the picture on audionotes page.

The main visible differences apply to the absence of all the parts associated with the "de-emphasis" outputs. Some early CD's include a boost of high frequencies to redue noise/distortion. The switch, resistrs & capacitors missing on your PCB cover that. If you need those - I have used several DAC's without de-emphasis and have yet to come across a CD with pre-empahsis. The best known CD with pre-emphasis IIRC is Pink Floyd DSOM - I still stick to vinyl with this one.

As for the Transformers and filters, you should be able to purchase the higher grade parts from AN, but I suspect you would best off removing/bypassing the Filter alltogether, as this one of the main recent upgrades AN offers.

Better passive components and possibly better circuits for the Analogue stage etc are obviously also not a bad idea.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.