cs43122 tube output stage help - based on cdenhancer II design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2004, 05:01 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Dear Ultraanalog,

When you say "For this dac, you may omit the capacitor from grid to ground"

Do you mean just leaving the connection between R4-gnd, R2-gnd, R13-gnd, R14-gnd open? I guess it is not quite right to join the these connection together otherwise the grid will be grounded.

Arthur
Old 14th February 2004, 06:07 PM   #12
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

HI,

No, I mean C1, C2, C11 and C12 "quoted from ultranalog"

Just imagine those 4 roll off caps aren't there, the wire carrying the signal will go directly to the corresponding pin of the tube socket, without having a cap bridging it to ground.
As you said yourself, you don't have to compensate the cap with a 'short' of any kind to ground, you won't be hearing music!

What Remco is telling us is that the opt's provide enough high frequency roll-off themselves without the need for the above caps. I've removed these myself and the differnce to my ears is obvious, I prefer the sound without the caps....

Which opt's will you use?

Thanks
Raja
Old 15th February 2004, 07:54 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

thanks! I will buy Sowter 8650 as suggested!
Old 15th February 2004, 08:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The sowter 8650 is available with leadouts (8650a) or just tabs so you can use your own wiring, I went for 8650a, this is something I now regret, I think I would have preferred tabs so I could use my own silver wire. .......

Thanks
Raja
Old 15th February 2004, 10:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Actually, I have the lead out version as well. I guess, we just have to cut the wire very short and join that with the silver wire!

Arthur
Old 15th February 2004, 06:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I don't see the benefit of adding another solder joint into the mix, this would negate the use of the higher quality wire. I'd rather stick with the original wire, than cut it and make another joint, in my experience you can hear the difference in even an extra solder joint, it's small but it does exist. For me to do this I'd unwind the tape around the winding and see if I could de-solder the supplied wires and attach the new wire directly to this point, overtaping again as necessary.

Mind you they do sound ok with the supplied wires!

Thanks
Raja
Old 15th February 2004, 11:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I will stick with the original then! Actually, I have the same experience as well. When DIY my preamp, I prefer to use the components leg for connection as much as possible, instead of cutting it short and use silver wire with multible joints!

Thanks very reminding me!
Old 21st February 2004, 10:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Have you noticed any microphone effect using 3a5?
Old 21st February 2004, 02:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The 3a5's are microphonic, but it doesn't seem to cause too many problems for me whilst listening. If you are having problems that are excessive, check layout, I'm no expert - Take a look at distance between tubes and any magnetic fileds. Also length of wiring from filament supply, best to keep these sort of things reasonably short. Also length of wiring B+ to tranny, and then tranny to tube..... The Guru's here would be able to provide better explanation, but I have a feeling that failure to implement some of the above or take care with layout could lead to oscillation.

Thanks
Raja
Old 21st February 2004, 02:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ultranalog Send a message via Yahoo to ultranalog
Default no worries about oscillation...

in a local-feedback only design.

Hide this!Advertise here!