Audiolab 8200 CD left channel treble distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

For the last two days I've been getting a very noticeable metallic (tinny) sounding distortion in the left channel whenever there's a significant element of high frequency in the music like high lying violins. At first I thought the tweeter of my speaker was failing but switching over to my headphone rig where the only element in common with my speaker rig is the CD player, I get the same phenomenon coming through my headphone left channel.

Any ideas about what this might be? Any ideas about what to do about it?

Thanks in advance. (you guys have always been great about this stuff in the past!)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's a very strange problem.

First steps would be to try and identify what is going on by using a scope and a CD that displays the problem. Does any oscillation show ? Next up and it might be an idea to play a test CD (you can make one with Audacity) of a frequency sweep from 20 to 20kHz at 0db level and again see what shows on the scope distortion wise.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You do really need the test gear for work like this.

Without, and you need a circuit (or an ability to recognise and visualise the circuit from the board) and to then isolate and "swap" left and right as you work back from the sockets to see where the problem is.

Another idea is to probe the opamp outputs working back,and use AC coupled headphones and a series resistor to see if you can determine where the problem develops. You need to be careful doing that as connecting the 'phones to any point that has DC voltage will cause a loud crack or pop in the 'phones. So connect first and then listen :D

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the problem is not with my Audiolab CD player but with my left ear. Probably an earwax buildup. The treble distortion has been gone for the last couple of days anyway. This is a big relief because dealing with my ear is a whole lot easier and cheaper than with my CD player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.