Audio Streamer for 24/192 or 24/96 options - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2014, 06:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Streamer for 24/192 or 24/96 options

Hi all.
I am in need of an audio/video streamer that can output Hi-Res audio via Optical or Coaxial.
Basically what I want to do is put it inside a case of a Teac PD-H500 CD player. I bought the amp and two cd players, one of them faulty. Thats not a problem as it was only 20 pounds. I also bought the Teac UD-H01 DAC and looking to play some Hi-Res files but not throu a PC.

What I would need is a streamer about 200x200 size and no more then 100mm high to fit in that case, with the remote sensor on the lower side so it works throu the original display window.
Also would be good if it had some storage area or capable of connecting external HDD/pen drive/SD card/whatnot....

IMPORTANT: if its a media streamer capable of outputing these formats, the optical and HDMI out have to work simultaneously and also not require me to connect a tv (could mount a 5 inch screen on the front of the case)

thanks for suggestions

Danny
Old 7th June 2014, 09:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody with experience with media/audio streamers? Do they work with Hi-Res out over Toslink?
Old 7th June 2014, 10:04 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Look into the Raspberry Pi and any number of projects here for something suitable. Toslink sucks..
Old 7th June 2014, 10:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am not sure if raspberry will be able to handle high bitrate hd movies. it might suck, but majority of the players have only optical, hdmi and sometimes component and video out. thats it what I could find out.
I need video out for the front screen, hdmi for tv connection and optical (coaxial) for hi-res music

danny
Old 7th June 2014, 10:31 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It was intended to support 1080P and has a DVI format HDMI output. I would check it some of the threads here. There are a number of dac boards designed to interface directly with its I2S output and I believe that someone is working on a spdif output as well. (Actually there are piles of hardware intended to interface with the Pi, just need to look for it) It has GPIO as well for controlling stuff like simple displays.
Old 8th June 2014, 11:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I read a lot that its good but has one major drawback....its slow.thars what the others report.

Does anybody know if media players output through HDMI and optical/coaxial/composite video at the same time? or does the output turn its self off once some other is connected?
this way I could run the front screen from Comp video and output from S/PDIF to DAC and when desired the HDMI to a tv....

danny
Old 8th June 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mac Mini? Has become my media server of choice.

The Appel Airport Express are great but capped at 48Hz. I read apple are prepping a hi-res itunes and hi-res lightening cabled headphones, perhaps the next apple tv will up the bitrate and be a good contender.
Old 8th June 2014, 11:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nuc intel or mac mini

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 8th June 2014, 12:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hey guys thanks for suggestions...but no Mac for me or any if that iCrap devices.Had them for 3 years as company gear...didnt like them at all.especislly iTunes.

I'll might give a try to WD live tv hd or some of the Asus media players. Hope the HDMI and comp video out work at the same time....
Old 8th June 2014, 02:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

WD is out... read on another forum that it downsamples to 48kHz....192kHz crashes on it...

Great.

Hide this!Advertise here!