Marantz CD 65 II SE - Help Required

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am facing a problem with my Marantz CD 65 II SE. I replaced DEM cap and replaced couple of power supply capacitors. After that I switched on, it automatically ejects the tray not able to read disc. Couldnt identify what would be the problem. I appreciate your help to trace the problem.

Thanks
Badri

Please try the following:

Turn power on while press 2 of the following:
STOP PLAY NEXT PREV.

That takes you to Mode 0.
Then press NEXT to MODE 1

Then NEXT or PREV.

Error codes:
err02 = FOCUS error
er07 = Sub code error
Er08 = t o co error

There is more but I can't type them.
That should get you started.

Search google for that or another model.

The DEM capacitor won't be causing this issue. A couple of questions:
- Did you use proper antistatic precautions when you serviced the player?
- These players don't eject the tray when no disc is found. When the tray is ejected, does the tray motor stop when the tray is fully extended?
- What appears on the display?

On this player the service mode is entered by pressing the 'search >>', 'track >>' and 'lap / remain' keys all at once while powering the player on (actually quite awkward to do). This player won't give numbered error codes, but rather allows manual control over some normally inaccessible functions (such as tracking and laser output). SyncTronX, I think you have this confused with another player.

If you can describe exactly how the player behaves in detail I should be able to help.

Thanks amc184.

- I didnt use proper things when servicing. Sorry.
- Yes the motor stopped when it is fully ejected.

I tried to go in service mode. Luckily it started playing cd. When I tried to start the player in normal mode it didnt play. I raised the player to 45 degree tray facing me it started playing but it didnt play sequentially instead it started from 3rd track. You know what could be the reason?

Thanks
Badri

Last edited:
Most of these older Philips based players will rotate the disc as they attempt to focus. If it just rotates for a couple of seconds and then stops it has failed to focus.

A few things could cause this, it could easily be ESD damage. The laser mechanism itself is particularly vulnerable, did place a shorting clip across its flat flex cable when you unplugged it?

The next thing I would look at is the voltage between test points 1 and 2, and between 9 and 9B, during playback. What test tools do you have (multimeter etc)?

Have you replaced all of the European-made electrolytic caps in the unit, particularly the should-be-infamous-by-now 33uf axial cap in the servo section, right near the laser current adjust trimpot? Sounds an AWFUL lot like that cap starting to fail, which it should be by now if still original.

Thanks Stephensank.

I havent replaced those caps. I will do it today and check.

Badri

SyncTronX, I think you have this confused with another player.
Anton, My Bad.

Yep, shame on me, Marantz 65 SE. The II must be significanly different,
and as no one what helping I tried with what I had on hand.
But glad you could assist.

BTW AMC, very nice blog. Very informative and I like the step by step
approach and examples you had in there for newbies.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.