single sided PCM2704 PCB anyone? ( SSOP Package )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That being said, I drew this a few years ago...

Attachments

• JDAC.png
    JDAC.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 120
That would be really nice from you. Its hard to draw small things with ExpressPCB and it lacks of components and making one is messed up.. Nosence program.
Source: USB audio DAC with PCM2704
Designs looks a little dodgy...

As basic as you can make, 1206 sized resistors/small capacitors would be good 805 can be soldered too.. I already have all the parts but random 12MHz clock.. THT one with lead spacing 5.08

Last edited:
There is always some speculation of what is the best DAC. The Lampizator modded Behringer Ultramatch SC250 appealed to me, but when his article was put on the Net you could no longer buy the original version pre2009 of the Behringer, which looks the same but sounds indifferent, and can no longer be modded to his 'beat the rest' version with or without Lampization valve output.

FM radio via the BBC R3 classical program live concerts beat any digital source in my view, so why pay a bomb for something that can only try to achieve analogue quality. One extra opamp or ADC DAC conversion and the subtlelty seems to have been lost. Long live BBC FM radio broadcasts. Government has now stated the fm to digtial radio change over in UK has been put on hold indefinitely. Hoorah ! The BBC use 100 + stacked DAC's to get the broadcast out presumably to emulate analogue quality.

Any body found any different with DACs over analogue.

Last edited:
You are aware that all the BBC services are carried on digital links to the transmitter sites (And no they don't use piles of DACs at the tx site, what would be the point? The FM channel is just not that quiet in reality?

Usually the DAC will be some random box from Sonifex, Alice, TSL or the like where the transmitter is not being driven directly in the digital domain (ASRC into an FPGA into a DDS chip to produce the RF directly, very common in modern FM senders).

The big thing R3 live has going for it is excellent musicianship and good rooms (The RAH has great acoustics for the right sort of thing), the technology is entirely incidental these days.

The decision to allow mic arrays in vision at this years proms has also had a nice effect on audio quality.

That FM stereo inherently limits the audio bandwidth to ~15KHz to protect the carrier phase reference at 19KHz just shows how unimportant the last 5KHz clearly is.

Incidentally, analogue feeds to tx sites always were a pain in the ****, even the old 13 bit system that the beeb used for many years for radio program distribution was better (And attracted no complaints from R3 listeners).

Regards, Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.