Dvi With/without Hdcp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2004, 08:08 PM   #1
yelloww is offline yelloww  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Dvi With/without Hdcp

I would like to know.......two things:

1)
What'll append if I connect my source (like a DVD) using the DVI output (with no HDCP stuff) into a monitor HDCP compliant ?

2)
What'll append if I connect my source (like a DVD) using the DVI output (HDCP compliant) into a monitor who dosent support the HDCP protection ?

any ideas ?

Yelloww
Old 2nd August 2004, 08:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default HDCP DVI out to non-HDCP compliant display

Yelloww,

Your post is old, but I hadn't seen a reply so thought I'd pass along what I found.

I have a non-HDCP compliant projector (Sharp PG-M20X) which has DVI input, and I have used it successfully with the DVI output from my ATI all-in-wonder card. When I tried using input from a Motorola cable box (HDCP compliant DVI output) and from an HDCP DVI DVD player output, I got a "no signal" from the projector.

After two service calls from Comcast (who lease me the Motorola cable tuner) and calls to Motorola, and searching on the web, I finally came to what I think is the answer.

When I connected my cable box to the projector with S-video (or component), and then additionally plugged in the DVI cable, a message window popped up on the screen saying "HDCP authorization failed, please use component input"

This is a protocol thing. Before the cable box (or DVD player) can send digital datastream, it does a "handshake" with the display device. If the display device sends back the right data saying it is HDCP compliant, then the source will send digital data. No handshake, no data. Additionally, the source will periodically check to make sure nothing has been switched.

Thousands if not tens of thousands of displays (HD projectors and HD TVs) which do not have the HDCP firmware will be unable to use DVI input. Basically I am paying for HD content from my cable company, but have to downgrade to component video quality because my projector is too old.

Any other thoughts?

Hide this!Advertise here!